Transylvania County, North Carolina Facts
Transylvania County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.transylvaniacounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: 1861 from Henderson County and Jackson County
- County Seat: Brevard
- Named After: Derived from the Latin words, trans meaning across and sylva meaning woods
- Bordering Counties: Henderson County (east), Greenville County, SC (southeast), Pickens County, SC (south), Oconee County, SC (southwest), Jackson County (west), Haywood County (northwest)
- Townships: Boyd, Brevard, Catheys Creek, Dunns Rock, Eastatoe, Gloucester, Hogback, Rosman ,and Little River
- Cities & Towns: Balsam Grove, Brevard, Pisgah Forest, Rosman
Transylvania County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Transylvania County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Transylvania Genealogical Society, 189 West Main St., P.O. Box 2347, Brevard, NC 28712; To contact TGS, call 828-884-2347
- Transylvania County Historical Society, Inc., P. O. Box 2061, Brevard, NC 28712
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2122, Asheville, NC 28802-2122
- Transylvania County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Transylvania County
- Transylvania County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Transylvania County
Transylvania County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Transylvania County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Transylvania County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Transylvania County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Transylvania County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 7 East Main St, Brevard, NC 28712
- Transylvania County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Transylvania County.
- Phone: 828-884-3162
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records:1861
- Transylvania County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 828-884-3120
- Probate Records:1861
- Court Records:1861
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Transylvania County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Transylvania County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Transylvania County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Transylvania County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Transylvania Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Transylvania Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Transylvania Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Transylvania Co. NC Census Records
Transylvania Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Transylvania Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Transylvania Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Transylvania Co. NC General and History Websites
Transylvania Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Transylvania Co. NC Military Records
Transylvania Co. NC Schools & Directories