Rockingham County, North Carolina Facts
Rockingham County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.co.rockingham.nc.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1785 from Guilford County
- County Seat: Wentworth
- Named After: Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham (1730–1782), a British statesmen and two-time Prime Minister of Great Britain
- Bordering Counties: Pittsylvania County, VA (northeast), Caswell County (east), Guilford County (south), Stokes County (west), Henry County, VA (northwest)
- Townships: Huntsville, Leaksville, Madison, Mayo, New Bethel, Price, Reidsville, Ruffin, Simpsonville, Summerfield, Wentworth, and Williamsburg
- Cities & Towns: Eden, Madison, Mayodan, Reidsville, Stoneville, Wentworth, Summerfield, Ruffin, Monroeton
Rockingham County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Rockingham County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Genealogical Soc. of Rockingham & Stokes Counties NC, P.O. Box 152, Mayodan, NC 27027-0152
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272 - Serving the counties of Franklin, Henry, Pittsylvania and Halifax in Virginia and Rockingham, Caswell and Person in North Carolina
- Rockingham County Historical Society, P.O. Box 84, Wentworth, NC 27375; (336)342-5901
- Richmond Co. Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1763, Rockingham NC 28380
- Society of Richmond Descendants, P. O. Box 848, Rockingham NC 28379
- Rockingham County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Rockingham County
- Rockingham County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Rockingham County
Rockingham County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Rockingham County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Rockingham County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Rockingham County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Rockingham County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 371 NC Hwy 65 - Reidsville NC 27320
- Rockingham County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Rockingham County.
- Address: 170 NC 65, Reidsville NC 27320
- Phone: 336-342-8820
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1785
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1785
- Rockingham County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 336-342-8700
- Probate Records: 1772
- Court Records: 1786
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Rockingham County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Rockingham County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Rockingham County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Rockingham County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Rockingham Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Rockingham Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Rockingham Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Rockingham Co. NC Census Records
Rockingham Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Rockingham Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Rockingham Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Rockingham Co. NC General and History Websites
Rockingham Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Rockingham Co. NC Military Records
Rockingham Co. NC Schools & Directories