Person County, North Carolina Facts
Person County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: http://www.personcounty.net
- Created Date / Origin: 1791 from Caswell County
- County Seat: Roxboro
- Named After: Thomas Person, an American Revolutionary War patriot
- Bordering Counties: Halifax County, VA (north), Granville County (east), Durham County (southeast), Orange County (southwest), Caswell County (west)
- Townships: Allensville, Bushy Fork, Cunningham, Flat River, Holloway, Mount Tirzah, Olive Hill, Roxboro, and Woodsdale (which includes Bethel Hill)
- Cities & Towns: Timberlake, Hurdle Mills, and Leasburg
Person County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Person County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Person County Historical Society, PO Box 887, Roxboro, NC 27573; 336-597-3134
- Tar River Connections Genealogical Society, 101 Wildwood Avenue, Rocky Mount 27803
- Virginia-North Carolina Piedmont Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2272, Danville 24541-0272 - Serving the counties of Franklin, Henry, Pittsylvania and Halifax in Virginia and Rockingham, Caswell and Person in North Carolina
- Person County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Person County
- Person County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Person County
Person County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Person County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Person County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Person County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Person County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Person County.
- Address: PO Box 209, 21 Abbitt Street , Roxboro, NC 27573
- Phone: (336) 597-1733
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1774
- Person County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Address: 105 S Main St, Roxboro, NC 27573
- Phone: (336) 503-5200
- Probate Records: 1792
- Court Records: 1775
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Person County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Person County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Person County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Person County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Person Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Person Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Person Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Person Co. NC Census Records
Person Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Person Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Person Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Person Co. NC General and History Websites
Person Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Person Co. NC Military Records
Person Co. NC Schools & Directories