Nash County, North Carolina Facts
Nash County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.co.nash.nc.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1777 from Edgecombe County
- County Seat: Nashville
- Named After: Francis Nash (1742–1777), a brigadier general in the Revolutionary War who was mortally wounded at the Battle of Germantown
- Bordering Counties: Halifax County (north), Edgecombe County (east), Wilson County (south), Johnston County (southwest), Franklin County (west), Wake County (southwest)
- Townships: Bailey, Castalia, Coopers, Dry Wells, Ferrells, Griffins, Jackson, Mannings, Nashville, North Whitakers, Oak Level, Red Oak, Rocky Mount, Spring Hope, South Whitakers, and Stony Creek
- Cities & Towns: Bailey, Castalia, Dortches, Middlesex, Momeyer, Nashville, Red Oak, Rocky Mount, Spring Hope, Whitakers
Nash County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Nash County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Nash County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Nash County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Nash County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Nash County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Nash County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 234 W Washington St, Nashville
- Nash County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Nash County.
- Phone: (252) 459-9836
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1777
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1739
- Nash County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: (252) 459-4081
- Probate Records: 1770
- Court Records: 1751
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Nash County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Nash County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Nash County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Nash County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Nash Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Nash Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Nash Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Nash Co. NC Census Records
Nash Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Nash Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Nash Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Nash Co. NC General and History Websites
Nash Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Nash Co. NC Military Records
Nash Co. NC Schools & Directories