Montgomery County, North Carolina Facts
Montgomery County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: montgomerycountync.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1779 from Anson County
- County Seat: Troy
- Named After: Richard Montgomery (1738–1775), a major general during the Revolutionary War who was killed at the Battle of Quebec
- Bordering Counties: Randolph County (northeast), Moore County (east), Richmond County (south), Stanly County (west), Davidson County (northwest)
- Townships: Biscoe, Cheek Creek, Eldorado, Little River, Mount Gilead, Ophir, Pee Dee, Rocky Springs, Star, Troy, and Uwharrie
- Cities & Towns: Biscoe, Candor, Mount Gilead, Star, Troy
Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Montgomery County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Montgomery County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1835, 1840 &1886 by fire. Some early records were destroyed in the 1835 fire. May have suffered record loss from courthouse fire in 1886, The clerk said that he saved the records but that they were "in a state of great confusion.".
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 108 E Main St, Troy, NC 27371
- Montgomery County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Montgomery County.
- Address: 102 East Spring Street, Troy, NC 27371
- Phone: 910-576-4271
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1779
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1769
- Montgomery County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 910-576-4211
- Probate Records: 1785
- Court Records: 1807
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Montgomery County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Montgomery County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montgomery County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Montgomery County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Montgomery Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. NC Census Records
Montgomery Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. NC General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. NC Military Records
Montgomery Co. NC Schools & Directories