Hyde County, North Carolina Facts
Hyde County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.hydecountync.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: 1705 from Bath Precinct as Wickham Precinct (renamed Hyde Precinct in 1712, declared Hyde County in 1739)
- County Seat: Swan Quarter
- Named After: Edward Hyde (c. 1650–1712), a governor of colonial North Carolina
- Bordering Counties: Tyrrell County (north), Dare County (northeast), Carteret County (south), Pamlico County (southwest), Beaufort County (west), Washington County (northwest)
- Townships: Currituck, Fairfield, Lake Landing, Ocracoke, Mattamuskeet and Swan Quarter.
- Cities & Towns: Engelhard, Fairfield, Scranton, Ocracoke, Swan Quarter
Hyde County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hyde County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Hyde County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Hyde County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Hyde County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Hyde County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1789 & 1827 by fire
- Hyde County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 Oyster Creek Road, Swan Quarter, NC 27885
- Hyde County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Hyde County.
- Phone: (252)926-4182
- Birth Records: 1877
- Marriage Records: 1742
- Death Records: 1877
- Land Records: 1736
- Hyde County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: (252) 926-4101
- Probate Records: 1745
- Court Records: 1713
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Hyde County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Hyde County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hyde County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Hyde County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hyde Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hyde Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hyde Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hyde Co. NC Census Records
Hyde Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hyde Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Hyde Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hyde Co. NC General and History Websites
Hyde Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hyde Co. NC Military Records
Hyde Co. NC Schools & Directories