Hoke County, North Carolina Facts
Hoke County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.hokecounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: 1911 from Cumberland County and Robeson County
- County Seat: Raeford
- Named After: Robert Hoke (1837–1912), a Confederate general during the American Civil War
- Bordering Counties: Moore County (northwest), Cumberland County (east), Robeson County (south), Scotland County (southwest)
- Townships: Allendale, Antioch, Blue Springs, Fort Bragg Military Reservation, McLauchlin, Raeford, Quewhiffle, and Stonewall
- Cities & Towns: Ashley Heights, Bowmore, Dundarrach, Five Points, Raeford, Rockfish, Silver City
Hoke County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hoke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Hoke County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Hoke County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Hoke County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Hoke County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Hoke County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 304 N Main St, Raeford, NC 28376
- Hoke County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Hoke County.
- Address: 113 Campus Ave., Raeford, NC 28376
- Phone: (910)875-2035
- Birth Records: 1911
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Death Records: 1911
- Land Records: 1911
- Hoke County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 910-878-4100
- Probate Records: 1911
- Court Records: 1911
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Hoke County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Hoke County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hoke County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Hoke County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hoke Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hoke Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hoke Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hoke Co. NC Census Records
Hoke Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hoke Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Hoke Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hoke Co. NC General and History Websites
Hoke Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hoke Co. NC Military Records
Hoke Co. NC Schools & Directories