Haywood County, North Carolina Facts
Haywood County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.haywoodnc.net
- Created Date / Origin: 1808 from Buncombe County
- County Seat: Waynesville
- Named After: John Haywood (1754–1827), a North Carolina State Treasurer
- Bordering Counties: Cocke County, TN (north), Madison County (northeast), Buncombe County (east), Transylvania County (southeast), Jackson County (southwest), Swain County (west), Sevier County, TN (northwest)
- Townships: Beaverdam, Bethel, Cataloochee, Cecil, Clyde, Crabtree, Cruso, East Fork, Fines Creek, Iron Duff, Ivy Hill, Jonathan Creek, Pigeon, Waynesville, and White Oak
- Cities & Towns: Canton, Clyde, Lake Junaluska, Maggie Valley, Waynesville, West Canton
Haywood County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Haywood County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Haywood County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Haywood County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Haywood County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Haywood County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. Some County Courthouse records destroyed in move to new courthouse.
- Haywood County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 285 N Main St, Waynesville, NC 28786
- Phone: (828) 454-6501
- Haywood County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Haywood County.
- Phone: (828) 452-6635
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1786
- Haywood County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Address: ?
- Phone: (828) 454-6501
- Probate Records: 1803
- Court Records: 1809
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Haywood County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Haywood County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Haywood County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Haywood County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Haywood Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Haywood Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Haywood Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Haywood Co. NC Census Records
Haywood Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Haywood Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Haywood Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Haywood Co. NC General and History Websites
Haywood Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Haywood Co. NC Military Records
Haywood Co. NC Schools & Directories