Edgecombe County, North Carolina Facts
Edgecombe County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.edgecombecountync.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: 1741 from Bertie County
- County Seat: Tarboro
- Named After: Richard Edgcumbe, 1st Baron Edgcumbe (1680–1758), a Lord High Treasurer and Paymaster-General for Ireland
- Bordering Counties: Halifax County (northeast), Martin County (east), Pitt County (southeast), Wilson County (southwest), Nash County (northwest)
- Townships: are both numbered and named: 1 (Tarboro), 2 (Lower Conetoe), 3 (Upper Conetoe), 4 (Deep Creek), 5 (Lower Fishing Creek), 6 (Upper Fishing Creek), 7 (Swift Creek), 8 (Sparta), 9 (Otter Creek), 10 (Lower Town Creek), 11 (Walnut Creek), 12 (Rocky Mount), 13 (Cokey), and 14 (Upper Town Creek)
- Cities & Towns: Conetoe, Leggett, Macclesfield, Pinetops, Princeville, Rocky Mount, Sharpsburg, Speed, Tarboro, Whitakers
Edgecombe County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Edgecombe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Edgecombe County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Edgecombe County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Edgecombe County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Edgecombe County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. Land records prior to 1759 are among those of Halifax County
- Edgecombe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 St Andrews St, Tarboro
- Phone: (252) 824-3200
- Edgecombe County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Edgecombe County.
- Phone: 252-641-7924
- Birth Records: 1914
- Marriage Records: 1760
- Death Records: 1914
- Land Records: 1732
- Edgecombe County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 252-823-6161
- Probate Records: 1730
- Court Records: 1744
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Edgecombe County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Edgecombe County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Edgecombe County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Edgecombe County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Edgecombe Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Edgecombe Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Edgecombe Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Edgecombe Co. NC Census Records
Edgecombe Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Edgecombe Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Edgecombe Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Edgecombe Co. NC General and History Websites
Edgecombe Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Edgecombe Co. NC Military Records
Edgecombe Co. NC Schools & Directories