Caldwell County, North Carolina Facts
Caldwell County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.caldwellcountync.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1841 from Burke County and Wilkes County
- County Seat: Lenoir
- Named After: Joseph Caldwell (1773–1835), the first president of the University of North Carolina
- Bordering Counties: Watauga County (north), Wilkes County (northeast), Alexander County (east), Catawba County (southeast), Burke County (south), Avery County (northwest)
- Townships: Lower Creek, Lovelady, Little River, Hudson, Kings Creek, Johns River, Lenoir, Globe, Mulberry, North Catawba, Patterson, Wilson Creek, Yadkin Valley
- Cities & Towns: Blowing Rock, Cajah's Mountain, Cedar Rock, Gamewell, Granite Falls, Hudson, Lenoir, Sawmills
Caldwell County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caldwell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Caldwell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Caldwell County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Caldwell County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Caldwell County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Caldwell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 216 Main St NW, Lenoir, NC 28645
- Phone: (828) 759-3503
- Caldwell County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Caldwell County.
- Address: 905 W. Avenue, N.W., PO Box 2200, Lenoir, NC 28645
- Phone: (828) 757-1399
- Birth Records: 1914
- Marriage Records: 1841
- Death Records: 1914
- Land Records: 1840
- Caldwell County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: (828) 759-8403
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1838
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Caldwell County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Caldwell County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Caldwell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Caldwell County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Caldwell Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caldwell Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caldwell Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caldwell Co. NC Census Records
Caldwell Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caldwell Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Caldwell Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caldwell Co. NC General and History Websites
Caldwell Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caldwell Co. NC Military Records
Caldwell Co. NC Schools & Directories