Bladen County, North Carolina Facts
Bladen County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.bladeninfo.org
- Created Date / Origin: 1734 from New Hanover Precinct and Bath County (originally named as Pelham Precinct, renamed in 1734)
- County Seat: Elizabethtown
- Named After: Martin Bladen, a member of the Board of Trade
- Bordering Counties: Cumberland County (north), Sampson County (northeast), Pender County (southeast), Columbus County (south), Robeson County (west)
- Townships: Abbotts, Bethel, Bladenboro, Brown Marsh, Carvers Creek, Central, Colly, Cypress Creek, Elizabethtown, East Arcadia, Frenches Creek, Hollow, Lake Creek, Turnbull, White Oak, and Whites Creek
- Cities & Towns: Bladenboro, Butters, Clarkton, Dublin, East Arcadia, Elizabethtown, Kelly, Tar Heel, White Lake, White Oak
Bladen County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bladen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bladen County Historical Society, P.O. Box 848, Elizabethtown, NC, 28337
- Old New Hanover Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2536, Wilmington, NC 28402-2536
- Southeastern North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 468, Chadbourn, NC 28431-0468
- Bladen County, North Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bladen County
- Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bladen County
Bladen County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Bladen County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Bladen County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bladen County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1770, 1800 and 1893 by fire, some records were destroyed in the 1800 and 1893 fires.
- Bladen County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 W. Broad Street, Elizabethtown, NC 28337
- Phone: (910) 872-7200
- Bladen County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Bladen County.
- Phone:(910) 862-6711
- Birth Records: 1913
- Marriage Records: 1868
- Death Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1784
- Bladen County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: (910) 872-7201
- Probate Records: 1766
- Court Records: 1866
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Bladen County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Bladen County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bladen County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Bladen County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bladen Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bladen Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bladen Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bladen Co. NC Census Records
Bladen Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bladen Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Bladen Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bladen Co. NC General and History Websites
Bladen Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bladen Co. NC Military Records
Bladen Co. NC Schools & Directories