Bertie County, North Carolina Facts
Bertie County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.co.bertie.nc.us
- Created Date / Origin: 1722 from Chowen Precinct and Albemarle County
- County Seat: Windsor
- Named After: James or Henry Bertie, two Lords Proprietor of colonial North Carolina
- Bordering Counties: Hertford County (north), Chowan County (east), Washington County (southeast), Martin County (southwest), Halifax County (west), Northampton County (northwest)
- Townships: Colerain, Indian Woods, Merry Hill, Mitchells, Roxobel, Snake Bite, Whites, Windsor, and Woodville
- Cities & Towns: Askewville, Aulander, Colerain, Kelford, Lewiston Woodville, Powellsville, Roxobel, Windsor, Merry Hill
Bertie County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bertie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Bertie County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Bertie County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Bertie County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bertie County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county.
- Bertie County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 108 Dundee St, Windsor, NC 27983
- Phone: (252) 794-6800
- Bertie County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Bertie County.
- Phone: (252) 794-5309
- Birth Records:1913
- Marriage Records: 1762
- Death Records:1913
- Land Records: 1721
- Bertie County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: 252-794-3030
- Probate Records: 1728
- Court Records: 1724
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Bertie County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Bertie County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Bertie County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Bertie Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bertie Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bertie Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bertie Co. NC Census Records
Bertie Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bertie Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Bertie Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bertie Co. NC General and History Websites
Bertie Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bertie Co. NC Military Records
Bertie Co. NC Schools & Directories