Anson County, North Carolina Facts
Anson County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.co.anson.nc.us/
- Created Date / Origin: 1750 from Bladen County
- County Seat: Wadesboro
- Named After: George, Lord Anson (1697–1762), a celebrated English admiral who circumnavigated the globe
- Bordering Counties: Stanly County (north), Richmond County (east), Chesterfield County, SC (south) and Union County (west)
- Townships: Ansonville, Burnsville, Gulledge, Lanesboro, Lilesville, Morven, Wadesboro, and White Store
- Cities & Towns: Ansonville, Lilesville, McFarlan, Morven, Peachland, Polkton, Wadesboro
Anson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Anson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Anson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Anson County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Anson County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Anson County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. Courthouse was destroyed in 1868, records
- Anson County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Anson County.
- Address: 101 S. Greene Street, Suite 131, Wadesboro, NC 28170
- Phone: 704-994-3208
- Birth Records: 1921
- Marriage Records: 1741
- Death Records: 1921
- Land Records: 1749
- Anson County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Address: 101 S. Greene Street, Suite 203, Wadesboro, NC 28170
- Phone: 704-694-2314
- Probate Records: 1751
- Court Records: 1771
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Anson County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Anson County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Anson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Anson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Anson Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Anson Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Anson Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Anson County, North Carolina Deed Abstracts, 1749-1766, Abstracts of Wills & Estates, 1749-1795 (search.ancestry.com)
- Guide to Research Materials in the North Carolina State Archives: Anson County Records
- Anson Co., NC GenWeb Archives Court Records (usgwarchives.net)
- County Records in the North Carolina State Archives
- Anson Co., NC GenWeb Archives Wills & Estate Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Anson Co., NC GenWeb Archives Deed Records (usgwarchives.net)
- North Carolina, County Records, 1833-1970 (familysearch.org)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Anson Co. NC Census Records
Anson Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Anson Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Anson Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Anson Co. NC General and History Websites
Anson Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Anson Co. NC Military Records
Anson Co. NC Schools & Directories