Richmond County, New York Facts
Richmond County was created on November 1, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in the New York colony. This particular county was named in honor of Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond (1672–1723), the illegitimate son of King Charles II of England.
The Richmond County Seat can be found in New York City and in addition the county government website is http://www.nyc.gov/
Regions neighboring Richmond County include Hudson County, NJ (north), Union County, NJ (west), Middlesex County, NJ (west), Kings County (northeast).
Cities and Towns to be found in Richmond County consists of Annadale, Arden Heights, Arrochar, Bay Terrace, Bloomfield, Brighton Heights, Bulls Head, Castleton, Castleton Corners, Charleston, Clifton, Concord, Dongan Hills, East Shore, Egbertville, Elm Park, Eltingville, Emerson Hill, Farm Colony, Fort Wadsworth, Fox Hills, Fresh Kills, Graniteville, Grant City, Grasmere, Great Kills, Greenridge, Grymes Hill, Heartland Village, Hoffman Island, Howland Hook, Huguenot, Isle of Meadow, Lighthouse Hill, Livingston, Manor Heights, Mariners Harbor, Meiers Corners, Mid-Island, Midland Beach, New Brighton, New Dorp, New Dorp Beach, New Springville, North Shore, Oakwood, Ocean Breeze, Pleasant Plains, Port Ivory, Port Richmond, Prall's Island, Prince's Bay, Randall Manor, Richmondtown, Richmond Valley, Rosebank, Rossville, St. George, Shooters Island, Shore Acres, Silver Lake, Snug Harbor, South Beach, South Shore, Stapleton, Stapleton Heights, Sunnyside, Swinburne Island, Todt Hill, Tompkinsville, Tottenville, Tottenville Beach, Travis, Ward Hill, Westerleigh, West New Brighton, West Shore, Willowbrook, Woodrow.
Richmond County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Richmond Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richmond Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Richmond Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Richmond County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Richmond County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Sandy Ground Historical Society, 1538 Woodrow Road, Staten Island, New York 10309, Phone: 718-317-5796; contains "largest documentary collection of African-American culture and history of Staten Island"
- Staten Island Historical Society, Historic Richmond Town, 411 Clarke Avenue, Staten Island, New York 10306-1198, Phone: 718-351-1611; Quarter publication: Richmondtown Restoration: Newsletter of the Staten Island Historical Society, Staten Island Historian
- Tottenville Historical Society, PO Box 70185, Staten Island, New York 10307-0185, Phone: 646-291-7005; They provide research services in their library and off-site at local repositories for a fee.
- College of Staten Island (CUNY), Archives and Special Collections, Library, 1L-216, 2800 Victory Boulevard, Staten Island, New York 10314, Phone 718-982-4128
- Richmondtown Library, New York Public Library, 200 Clarke Avenue (at Amber St.), Staten Island, New York 10306, Phone:718-668-0413
- Staten Island Museum, aka Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences, History Library and Archives, 75 Stuyvesant Place, Staten Island, New York 10301, Phone: 718-727-1135 ext. 122, archivist; History Archives & Library Collection
- Wagner College, The Horrmann Library, 1 Campus Road, Staten Island, New York 10301, Phone: 718-390-3401
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Richmond County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Richmond County
- Richmond County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Richmond County
- USGenWeb Archives for Richmond County (usgwarchives.net)
Richmond County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Richmond County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Richmond County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Richmond County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Richmond County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Richmond County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Address: 130 Stuyvesant Place, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Phone: 718-675-8960
- Land Records: 1683 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1683
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Richmond County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 18 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Phone: 718-675-8500
- Probate Records: 1787 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Richmond County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Richmond County (Borough of Staten Island) Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 10 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, New York 10301-1903
- Phone: ?
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Richmond County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Richmond County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Richmond County genealogy or family history related sites.
Richmond Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Richmond Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Richmond Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Richmond Co. NY Census Records
Richmond Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
- New York City Deaths, 1892-1902 (search.ancestry.com)
- Staten Island, New York Church Records, 1749-1828 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York City, Dutch Church Burials (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Hebrew Burial Records (HFBA), Silver Lake and Mount Richmond Cemeteries, 1899-1991 (search.ancestry.com)
- Richmond Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Richmond County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Richmond Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Richmond County, New York (topozone.com)
- Richmond Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Richmond Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Richmond Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Richmond Co. NY General and History Websites
Richmond Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Richmond Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Richmond Co. NY Military Records
Richmond Co. NY Schools & Directories