Montgomery County, New York Facts
Montgomery County was created on March 12, 1772 from Albany County (Origianall called Tryon County, renamed in 1784). This particular county was originally named after Tryon County after colonial governor William Tryon (1729–1788), renamed after the American Revolutionary War generalRichard Montgomery (1738–1775) in 1784 .
The Montgomery County Seat can be found in Fonda and in addition the county government website is www.co.montgomery.ny.us/
Regions neighboring Montgomery County include Fulton County (north), Saratoga County (east), Schenectady County (east), Schoharie County (south), Otsego County (southwest), Herkimer County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Montgomery County consists of Ames (village), Amsterdam (city), Amsterdam (town), Canajoharie (town), Canajoharie (village), Charleston (town), Florida (town), Fonda (village), Fort Johnson (village), Fort Plain (village), Fultonville (village), Glen (town), Hagaman (village), Minden (town), Mohawk (town), Nelliston (village), Palatine Bridge (village), Palatine (town), Root (town), St. Johnsville (town), St. Johnsville (village) .
Montgomery County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Montgomery Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montgomery Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Montgomery County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Walter Elwood Museum of the Mohawk Valley, 366 West Main Street, Route 5, Amsterdam, New York 12010, Phone: 518-843-5151
- Noteworthy Indian Museum, 2 Prospect Street, Amsterdam, New York 12010, Phone: 518-843-4761
- Old Fort Johnson, Phone: 518-843-0300,
- Montgomery County Department of History and Archives, Old Court House, P.O. Box 1500, Fonda, NY 12068-1500, 518-853-8187; Genealogical resources: Family Files Surnames are identified online. Local histories, biographies, cemetery records, compiled genealogies, land records, newspapers, city directories, gazetteers, vital records, church, census, and military records.
- Margaret Reaney Memorial Library and Museum, 19 Kingsbury Ave., St. Johnsville, NY 13452, 518-568-7822; Genealogical resources: Family Bibles, maps, biographies, surname files, obituaries, censuses, cemetery, marriage, military, church records. City directories, county histories, compiled genealogies, and manuscripts. Great place to study Palatine Germans who settled the Mohawk Valley.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
- USGenWeb Archives for Montgomery County (usgwarchives.net)
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Montgomery County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Montgomery County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 9 Park Street, Old Courthouse, Fonda, NY 12068
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Montgomery County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 518-853-8111
- Land Records: 1777 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1777
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Montgomery County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 58 Broadway, Fonda, NY 12068
- Phone: (518) 853-8108
- Probate Records: 1787 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Montgomery County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Montgomery County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Montgomery County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Montgomery County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Montgomery County genealogy or family history related sites.
Montgomery Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. NY Census Records
Montgomery Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. NY Church & Bible Records
- German Reformed Church of Montgomery, Orange County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Caughnawaga : now the Reformed Church of Fonda, in the village of Fonda, Mon (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of Stone Arabia : in the town of Palatine, Montgomery County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Dutch Reformed Saint John's Church : in the town of St. Johnsville, Montgomery County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of marriages and baptisms of the Rev. James Dempster (search.ancestry.com)
- Register of baptisms, marriages, communicants, & funerals begun by Henry Barclay at Fort Hunter, January 26th, 1734 /5 : regist (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory, First [sic] Ave. Methodist Episcopal Church (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Plain Reformed Church records (search.ancestry.com)
- Fonda church records (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Montgomery County, New York (topozone.com)
- Montgomery County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Montgomery Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. NY General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Montgomery Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. NY Military Records
Montgomery Co. NY Schools & Directories