Livingston County, New York Facts
Livingston County was created on February 23, 1821 from Genesee County and Ontario County. This particular county was named in honor of Robert Livingston (1746–1813), the early American statesman and New York delegate to the Continental Congress.
The Livingston County Seat can be found in Geneseo and in addition the county government website is co.livingston.state.ny.us/
Regions neighboring Livingston County include Monroe County (north), Ontario County (east), Steuben County (southeast), Allegany County (southwest), Wyoming County (west), Genesee County (northwest).
Cities to be found in Livingston County consists of Geneseo. Villages include Avon, Caledonia, Dansville, Leicester, Lima, Livonia, Mount Morris, Nunda. Towns include Avon, Caledonia, Conesus, Geneseo, Groveland, Leicester, Lima, Livonia, Mount Morris, North Dansville, Nunda, Ossian, Portage, Sparta, Springwater, West Sparta, York.
Livingston County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Livingston Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Livingston County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Livingston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Livingston-Steuben County County Genealogical Society, 3 Elizabeth St., Dansville 14437
- Livingston County Historical Society, 30 Center Street, Geneseo, New York 14454; (716) 243-9147
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Livingston County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Livingston County
- Livingston County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Livingston County
- USGenWeb Archives for Livingston County (usgwarchives.net)
Livingston County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Livingston County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Livingston County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Livingston County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Livingston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 6 Court St, Rm 201, Geneseo, NY 14454
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Livingston County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (585) 243-7010 (585) 335-1712
- Land Records: 1821 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1821
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Livingston County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Address: 2 Court Street, Geneseo, NY 14454
- Phone: (585) 243-7095
- Probate Records: 1821 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Livingston County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Livingston County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.Has Books on local history, newspapers on microfilm (1824 - present), census and naturalization records, veteran's files, photographs, maps, genealogy files, cemetery surveys, and various other archival materials pertaining to the history of Livingston County.
- Address: 5 Murray Hill Drive, Mt Morris 14510
- Phone: Phone: (585)243-7955 or (585) 335-1730
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Livingston County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Livingston County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Livingston County genealogy or family history related sites.
Livingston Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Livingston Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Livingston Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Livingston Co. NY Census Records
Livingston Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Livingston Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Livingston Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Livingston Co. NY General and History Websites
Livingston Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Livingston Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Livingston Co. NY Military Records
Livingston Co. NY Schools & Directories