Fulton County, New York Facts
Fulton County was created on April 18, 1838 from Montgomery County. This particular county was named in honor of Robert Fulton (1765–1815), inventor of the steamship.
The Fulton County Seat can be found in Johnstown and in addition the county government website is fultoncountyny.gov/
Regions neighboring Fulton County include Hamilton County (north), Saratoga County (east), Montgomery County (south), Herkimer County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Fulton County consists of Bleecker (town), Broadalbin (town), Broadalbin (village), Caroga (town), Dolgeville (village), Ephratah (town), Gloversville (city), Johnstown (town), Johnstown (city), Mayfield (town), Mayfield (village), Northampton (town), Northville (village), Oppenheim (town), Perth (town), Stratford (town).
Fulton County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Fulton Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fulton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Fulton County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fulton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- The Adirondack Genealogical – Historical Society, 100 Main St., Saranac Lake, NY, 12983 Phone: 518-891-0807; they have an obituary database extracted from the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and will search for you by phone. They also have some church records, census records on Franklin and surrounding counties, local directories, and cemetery information up to 2000.
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175; They staff a genealogy support desk at the Town of Colonie Library.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205; Member queries; surname research list; online resources; six meetings/year; publication: Tree Talks quarterly with annual index.
- Mohawk Valley Library System Holdings at these libraries include account books, business records & ledgers; atlases & maps; bibles; biography, surname & obituary files; census records; cemetery, marriage, military & pension records; church & county histories; city directories; DAR lineage books; diaries; ephemera; gazetteers; genealogical family charts; letters & personal papers; newspapers; notebooks; pamphlets; photographs; printed books; scrapbooks; watercolors & objets d'art. The focus of these collections are the historical persons and places in the libraries' service area.,
- Fulton County Museum, 237 North Kingsboro Avenue, Gloversville, NY 12078-1428, Phone: 518-725-2203,
- Adirondack Museum Library, P. O. Box 99, Blue Mountain Lake, New York 12812, Phone: 518-352-7311; Collections: include books, manuscripts, maps, periodicals, microforms, and ephemera related to the Adirondack Mountains. It is strongly encouraged to make an appointment.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Fulton County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fulton County
- Fulton County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fulton County
- USGenWeb Archives for Fulton County (usgwarchives.net)
Fulton County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Fulton County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Fulton County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Fulton County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Fulton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 223 West Main Street, Johnstown, NY 12095
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Fulton County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 518-736-5555
- Land Records: 1838 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1838
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Fulton County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: 518–736–5685
- Probate Records: 1838 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Fulton County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Fulton County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Fulton County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Fulton County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Fulton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fulton Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fulton Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fulton Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fulton Co. NY Census Records
Fulton Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fulton Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Fulton Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fulton Co. NY General and History Websites
- Fulton County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Fulton County : embracing early discoveries, the advance of civilization, the labors and triumphs of Sir William Joh (search.ancestry.com)
- Compendium of Early Mohawk Valley Families (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Montgomery and Fulton Counties, N.Y. : with illustrations descriptive of scenery, private residences, public buildin (search.ancestry.com)
- Gloversville, or, The model village : a poem, with an appendix containing a succinct history of the same : also, biographical s (search.ancestry.com)
- Muskets to missiles : Johnstown bi-centennial, August 17-23, 1958, Johnstown, New York. (search.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fulton Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Fulton County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Fulton (cyndislist.com)
- Fulton County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Fulton Co. NYGenweb (nygenweb.net)
- Fulton County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Fulton Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Fulton Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Fulton Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fulton Co. NY Military Records
Fulton Co. NY Schools & Directories