Essex County, New York Facts
Essex County was created on March 1, 1799 and formed from Clinton County. This particular county was named for the county of Essex in England .
The Essex County Seat can be found in Elizabethtown and in addition the county government website is www.co.essex.ny.us/
Regions neighboring Essex County include Clinton County (north), Chittenden County, VT (northeast), Addison County, VT (east), Washington County (south), Warren County (south), Hamilton County (southwest), Franklin County (northwest).
Cities and Towns to be found in Essex County consists of Chesterfield (town), Crown Point (town), Elizabethtown (town), Elizabethtown, Essex (town), Jay (town), Keene (town), Keeseville (village), Lake Placid (village), Lewis (town), Minerva (town), Mineville-Witherbee, Moriah (town), Newcomb (town), North Elba (town), North Hudson (town), Port Henry (village), Saranac Lake (village), Schroon (town), St. Armand (town), Ticonderoga (town), Ticonderoga, Westport (town), Willsboro (town), Wilmington (town) .
Essex County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Essex Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Essex County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Essex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Essex County Historical Society / Brewster Memorial Research Library & Archives, 7590 Court St., PO Box 428, Adirondack History Center Museum, Elizabethtown NY, 12932; Telephone: (518) 873-6466
- Clinton Essex Franklin Library System consists of 34 public libraries in the counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin. Each library has access to genealogical databases - especially newspaper sites. Many are accessible with your library card from home.
- Adirondack History Center Museum, 7590 Court Street, P.O. Box 428, Elizabethtown, NY 12932, Phone: 518-873-6466,
- Fort Ticonderoga/Thompson-Pell Research Center, Fort Road, Ticonderoga, NY 12883, Phone: 518-585-2821,
- Keene Valley Library Archives, 1796 NYS Rt. 73, Keene Valley, NY 12943, Phone: 518-576-4335,
- Lake Placid Public Library, 2471 Main Street, Lake Placid, NY 12946, Phone: 518-523-3200,
- Penfield Foundation Museum, Ironville Road, Crown Point, NY 12928,
- Sherman Free Libary, 20 Church Street, Port Henry, NY 12974, Phone: 518-546-7461
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Essex County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Essex County
- Essex County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Essex County
- USGenWeb Archives for Essex County (usgwarchives.net)
Essex County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Essex County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Essex County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Essex County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Essex County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 7559 Court Street, Elizabethtown, NY 12932
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Essex County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: 518-873-3600
- Land Records: 1799 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1799
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Essex County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: 518-873-3384
- Probate Records: 1803 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Essex County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Essex County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 7590 Court Street, Elizabethtown, NY 12932
- Phone: (518) 873-6466
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Essex County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Essex County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Essex County genealogy or family history related sites.
Essex Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Essex Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Essex Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Essex Co. NY Census Records
Essex Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Essex Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Essex Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Essex Co. NY General and History Websites
Essex Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Essex Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Essex Co. NY Military Records