Cattaraugus County, New York Facts
Cattaraugus County was created on March 11, 1808 from Genessee County. This particular county was named for a Seneca word meaning "bad smelling banks", referring to the odor of natural gas which leaked from local rock formations .
The Cattaraugus County Seat can be found in Little Valley and in addition the county government website is www.co.cattaraugus.ny.us
Regions neighboring Cattaraugus County include Erie County (north), Wyoming County (northeast), Allegany County (east), McKean County, PA (southeast), Warren County, PA (southwest), Chautauqua County (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Cattaraugus County consists of Olean, Salamanca, Allegany, Ashford, Carrollton, Coldspring, Conewango, Dayton, East Otto, Ellicottville, Farmersville, Franklinville, Freedom, Great Valley, Hinsdale, Humphrey, Ischua, Leon, Little Valley, Lyndon, Machias, Mansfield, Napoli, New Albion, Olean, Otto, Perrysburg, Persia, Portville, Randolph, Red House, Salamanca, South Valley, Yorkshire. Villages include Allegany, Cattaraugus, Delevan, East Randolph, Ellicottville, Franklinville, Gowanda, Limestone, Little Valley, Perrysburg, Portville, Randolph, South Dayton. Hamlets include Lime Lake-Machias, St. Bonaventure, Weston Mills.
Cattaraugus County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Cattaraugus Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cattaraugus Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cattaraugus Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Cattaraugus County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cattaraugus County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cattaraugus County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 404, Salamanca, New York 14779,
- Cattaraugus County Historical Museum and Research Library, 9824 Route 16, PO Box 352, Machias, NY 14101 , 1-716-353-8200 (This is a genealogy/research center, operated by the county. They will perform research requests for a fee. Some the records include: county census, Civil War rolls, cemetery stone abstracts, marriage records (1908-1925 only) and obituary abstracts)
- Allegany Public Library, 90 West Main Street, Allegany, NY 14706, Phone: 1-716-373-1056,
- Delvan-Yorkshire Public Library, P.O. Box 185, 28 School Street, Delevan, NY 14042, Phone: 1-716-492-1961,
- Gowanda Free Library, 56 West Main Street, Gowanda, NY 14070, Phone: 1-716-532-3451
- Memorial Library of Little Valley, 110 Rock City Street, Little Valley, NY 14755, Phone: 1-716-938-6301 ,
- Ellicottville Memorial Library, 1 Washington Street, Ellicottville, NY 14731, Phone: 1-716-699-2842,
- King Memorial Library, Town Hall, Roszyk Hill Road, Machias, NY 14101, Phone: 1-716-353-9915
- Myers Memorial Library, P.O. Box 559, 26 Ivory Street, Frewsburg, NY 14738, Phone 1-716-569-5515,
- Seneca Nation Library-Cattaraugus Branch, 1490 Route 438, Irving, NY 14081, Phone: 1-716-532-9449
- Seneca-Iroquois National Museum, 814 Broad Street, Salamanca, NY 14779, Phone: (716) 945-1760
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Cattaraugus County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cattaraugus County
- Cattaraugus County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cattaraugus County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cattaraugus County (usgwarchives.net)
Cattaraugus County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Cattaraugus County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Cattaraugus County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cattaraugus county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Cattaraugus had no county government until 1817. Its records were first kept in Buffalo, but they were destroyed in 1813 when the British burned the courthouse. In 1812 Cattaraugus was annexed to Allegany County, and from 1814 - 17 county records for the eastern towns of Olean and Ischua were kept in Belmont and for the western town of Perry, in Buffalo.
- Cattaraugus County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 303 Court Street, Little Valley, NY 14755
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Cattaraugus County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (716) 938-9111
- Land Records: 1817 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1817
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Cattaraugus County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (716) 938-2327
- Probate Records: 1817 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Cattaraugus County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Cattaraugus County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 9824 Route 16, PO Box 352, Machias, NY 14101
- Phone: 716-353-8200
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cattaraugus County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Cattaraugus County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Cattaraugus County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cattaraugus Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992) (genealogybank.com) Easily find names and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. All new content and articles added each month!
- Olean Evening Times (Olean, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Times Herald (Olean, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Olean Evening Herald (Olean, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Olean Democrat (Olean, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Salamanca Republican Press (Salamanca, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Democrat (Olean, New York) (search.ancestry.com)
- Cattaraugus County, New York Books (amazon.com)
- New York Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Search New York Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Cattaraugus Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cattaraugus Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cattaraugus Co. NY Census Records
Cattaraugus Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
- Gravestone inscriptions in Cattaraugus County, New York : including cemeteries in the towns of Freedom, Franklinville and Yorks (search.ancestry.com)
- Gravestone inscriptions of Cadiz, Franklinville, Sugartown, Delevan, and Yorkshire cemetery. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cattaraugus Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Cattaraugus County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Cattaraugus Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Cattaraugus County, New York (topozone.com)
- Cattaraugus Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Cattaraugus Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Cattaraugus Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cattaraugus Co. NY General and History Websites
- Cattaraugus County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Cattaraugus Co., New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical and biographical history of the township of Dayton, Cattaraugus County, New York, comprising the villages of Cottage (search.ancestry.com)
- Franklinville, N.Y., in pictures and story (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical sketch of the village of Gowanda, N.Y. : in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of its incorporation, August 8 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cattaraugus County : embracing its agricultural society, newspapers, civil list ..., biographies of the old pioneers .., coloni (search.ancestry.com)
- Cattaraugus County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Cattaraugus Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Cattaraugus County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Cattaraugus (cyndislist.com)
- Cattaraugus County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Cattaraugus Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Cattaraugus County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Cattaraugus Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Cattaraugus Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Cattaraugus Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cattaraugus Co. NY Military Records