Bronx County, New York Facts
Bronx County was created on 1914 and formed from New York County. This particular county was named in honor of Jonas Bronck (1600?–1643), an early settler of the Dutch colony of New msterdam.
The Bronx County Seat can be found in New York City and in addition the county government website is www.nyc.gov/
Regions neighboring Bronx County include Westchester County (north), Queens County (south), New York County (southwest), Bergen County, NJ (west).
Cities and Towns to be found in Bronx County consists of Allerton, Baychester, Bedford Park, Belmont (Arthur Avenue), Castle Hill, City Island, Co-op City, Country Club, East Bronx, Eastchester, East Morrisania, East Tremont, Fieldston, Fordham, Highbridge, Hunts Point, Kingsbridge, Kingsbridge Heights, Locust Point, Longwood, Marble Hill (Manhattan), Melrose, Morrisania, Morris Heights, Morris Park, Mott Haven, North Bronx, North Riverdale, Norwood, Olinville, Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Pelham Gardens, Pelham Parkway, Port Morris, Riverdale, Silver Beach, Soundview, South Bronx, Spuyten Duyvil, Throgs Neck, Tremont, University Heights, Van Cortlandt Village, Van Nest, Wakefield, West Bronx, West Farms, Williamsbridge, Woodlawn.
Bronx County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Bronx Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bronx Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bronx Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Bronx County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bronx County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bronx County Historical Society, 3309 Bainbridge Avenue, The Bronx, New York, 10467
- City Island Historical Society and Nautical Museum, 190 Fordham Street, P.O. Box 82, Bronx, New York 10464; Phone: 718-885-0008
- Kingsbridge Historical Society, 426 West 259th Street, Bronx, New York 10471; Phone: 718-796-1195
- Bronx Library Center, New York Public Library, 310 East Kingsbridge Road, Bronx, New York 10458; Phone: 718-579-4244
- Lehman College Library of the City, University of New York, 250 Bedford Park Blvd, West, Bronx, New York 10468-1589; Phone: 718-960-8577 and 718-960-7766
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- Bronx County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bronx County
- Bronx County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bronx County
- USGenWeb Archives for Bronx County (usgwarchives.net)
Bronx County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the significance of Bronx County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and worries of the many New York men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of factors of their lives in the Bronx County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or inquiring information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will help people in locating the resources, however it is up to the person to carry out the research.
The following specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records will be in Bronx County. The years pointed out listed below tend to be the first known records in this county.
- Bronx County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 851 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451
- Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources.
- Bronx County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Phone: (866) 797-7214
- Land Records: 1914 (Land conveyances, deeds and mortgages are recorded in the county clerks' offices or in the New York City Register's Office. Recording of deeds became mandatory statewide in 1840. Before that many deeds were not recorded)
- Court Records: 1914
- Naturalization Records: State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region.
- Bronx County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Phone: (718) 618-2300
- Probate Records: 1914 (each county generally has records dating back to the establishment of the county or 1787, whichever was later. Record keeping was systematized by an 1830 statute)
- Bronx County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
- Address: 3309 Bainbridge Avenue, The Bronx, NY 10467
- Phone: 718-881-8901
- New York Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 (A marriage license may also sometimes be found in the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license) and a Divorce records since 1847 (Is handled in the supreme court for the county in which the divorce was heard. Divorce files, however, are sealed for one hundred years). There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Bronx County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Bronx County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own favorite Bronx County genealogy or family history related sites.
Bronx Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bronx Co. NY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bronx Co. NY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bronx Co. NY Census Records
Bronx Co. NY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bronx Co. NY Church & Bible Records
Bronx Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bronx Co. NY General and History Websites
Bronx Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Bronx Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bronx Co. NY Military Records
Bronx Co. NY Schools & Directories