Washoe County, Nevada Facts
Washoe County was formed on November 25, 1861 as an original county in the Nevada Territory. The county was named for the Washo, a small Indian tribe that inhabits the area.
The Washoe County Seat can be found in Reno and the county government website is http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/
Places adjacent to Washoe County are Humboldt County (east), Pershing County (east), Churchill County (east), Lyon County, Storey County (south), Carson City (south), Placer County, California (southwest) Nevada County, California (west), Sierra County, California (west), Lassen County, California (west), Modoc County, California (west), Lake County, Oregon (north), Harney County, Oregon (northeast).
Cities and towns situated in Washoe County are made up of Reno, Sparks.
Washoe County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Washoe Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Washoe Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Washoe Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Washoe County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Washoe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Washoe County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget about the advantages of Washoe County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in Nevada courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Nevada residents.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Washoe County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Remember to call the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Washoe County. The dates suggested listed below are the first recognized records data in this county.
- Washoe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 75 Court St, Reno, NV 89501
- Phone: (775) 337-4575
- Washoe County Recorder is responsible for the recordation, scanning/microfilming, indexing and permanent storage of all Real Estate Transactions, Mining Claim Locations, Assessment work, Contracts, Leases, Judgments, Marriage Certificates, Fixture Filing Statements, Liens, Maps and all other Miscellaneous Documents.
- Washoe County Clerk is responsible for the issuance of all marriage licenses in the County.
- Washoe County Clerk of District Court has jurisdiction over all Regular, Civil, Criminal, Probate, and Family courts.
- Probate Records: 1870
- Court Records: 1870
- Nevada Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nevada for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Washoe County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Washoe County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Washoe County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Washoe Co. NV Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from Nevada (1864–1922) (genealogybank.com) Instantly discover names and keywords / phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices and other items printed in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. New articles and other content added each and every month!
- Nevada State Journal, 1870-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Reno Evening Gazette (Reno, Nevada) (search.ancestry.com)
- Nevada State Journal (Reno, Nevada) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Nevada State Journal (Reno, Nevada) (search.ancestry.com)
- Reno Gazette (Reno, Nevada) (search.ancestry.com)
- Nevada Evening Gazette (Reno, Nevada) (search.ancestry.com)
- Ross-Burke Funeral Records, Reno, Nevada, 1904-19 (search.ancestry.com)
- Washoe County, Nevada Books (amazon.com)
- Nevada Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com) Research Your Family Tree & Genealogy with over 5,000+ Titles, over 400 Years of news articles in all 50 States!
- Search Nevada Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Washoe County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Washoe Co. NV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washoe Co. NV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washoe Co. NV Census Records
Washoe Co. NV Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washoe Co. NV Church & Bible Records
Washoe Co. NV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washoe Co. NV General and History Websites
Washoe Co. NV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washoe Co. NV Military Records
Washoe Co. NV Schools & Directories