Douglas County, Nevada Facts
Douglas County was formed on November 25, 1861 as an original county in the Nevada Territory. The county was named in honor of Stephen Arnold Douglas (1813–1861), former United States Senator from Illinois..
The Douglas County Seat can be found in Minden and the county government website is http://www.douglascountynv.gov/
Places adjacent to Douglas County are Carson City (north), Lyon County (east), Mono County, California, Alpine County, California (south), El Dorado County, California (west), Placer County, California.
Cities and towns situated in Douglas County are made up of Gardnerville, Gardnerville Ranchos, Genoa, Glenbrook, Indian Hills, Johnson Lane, Kingsbury, Minden, Stateline, Topaz Lake, Zephyr Cove-Round Hill Village.
Douglas County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Douglas Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Douglas Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Douglas Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Douglas County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Douglas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Douglas County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget about the advantages of Douglas County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in Nevada courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Nevada residents.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Douglas County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Remember to call the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Douglas County. The dates suggested listed below are the first recognized records data in this county. In 1859, the county was part of Millard County, Utah, then added to Carson County.
- Douglas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1625 8th St, Minden, NV 89423
- Phone: (775) 782-9014
- Douglas County Recorder is responsible for the recordation, scanning/microfilming, indexing and permanent storage of all Real Estate Transactions, Mining Claim Locations, Assessment work, Contracts, Leases, Judgments, Marriage Certificates, Fixture Filing Statements, Liens, Maps and all other Miscellaneous Documents.
- Birth / Death Records: 1885
- Land Records: 1855
- Douglas County Clerk is responsible for the issuance of all marriage licenses in the County.
- Douglas County Clerk of District Court has jurisdiction over all Regular, Civil, Criminal, Probate, and Family courts.
- Probate Records: 1887
- Court Records: 1887
- Nevada Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nevada for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Douglas County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Douglas County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Douglas County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Douglas Co. NV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Douglas Co. NV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Nevada
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Douglas County Marriage Records 2000 - 2011 (archives.com) Douglas County Recorder's Office
- Douglas County, Nevada Vital Records, 1862-1923 (search.ancestry.com)
- County Birth and Death Records, 1871-1992 (familysearch.org)
- County Marriages, 1862-1993 (familysearch.org)
- Marriage Index, 1956-2005 (familysearch.org)
- Marriage Index, 1956-2005 (search.ancestry.com)
- Divorce Index, 1968-2005 (search.ancestry.com)
- Marriages, 1860-1987 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Douglas Co. NV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Douglas Co. NV Census Records
Douglas Co. NV Cemeteries & Graveyards
Douglas Co. NV Church & Bible Records
Douglas Co. NV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Douglas Co. NV General and History Websites
Douglas Co. NV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Douglas Co. NV Military Records
Douglas Co. NV Schools & Directories