Taney County, Missouri Facts
Taney County was created on January 6, 1837 from Greene County. The county was named in honor of Roger Brooke Taney (1777–1864), eleventh United States Attorney General and fifth Chief Justice of the United States.
The Taney County Seat is situated in Forsyth and in addition the county government website is www.co.taney.mo.us
Areas surrounding Taney County include Christian County (north), Douglas County (northeast), Ozark County (east), Marion County, Arkansas (southeast), Boone County, Arkansas (south), Carroll County, Arkansas (southwest), Stone County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Taney County include Bradleyville, Branson, Brownbranch, Bull Creek, Cedar Creek, Forsyth, Hilda, Hollister, Kirbyville, Kissee Mills, McClurg, Merriam Woods, Point Lookout, Powersite, Protem, Ridgedale, Rockaway Beach, Rueter, Saddlebrooke, Table Rock, Taneyville, Walnut Shade.
Taney County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Taney Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Taney Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Taney Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Taney Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Taney County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Taney County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ralph Foster Museum, College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, MO 65726, Phone: (417) 334-6411, ext. 3407
- White River Valley Historical Society , P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- Bonniebrook Historical Society, .O. Box 263, Branson, MO 65615 , Phone: (417) 561-2210
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Taney County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Taney County
- Taney County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Taney County
- USGenWeb Archives for Taney County
Taney County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Taney County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Taney County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Taney county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. The courthouse was burned in 1863 by Union troops trying to keep the fortress out of the hands of Confederates. Fire destroyed the courthouse and most records December 19, 1885
- Taney County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 132 David Street, Forsyth, MO 65653
- Taney County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 546-7234
- Marriage Records: 1885 (including Marriage records, 1885-1899 and 1908-1913)
- Land Records: 1881 (including Index to deeds, 1886-1895; Deed records, 1886-1888; Mortgage deeds, 1881-1906)
- Taney County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: 266 Main Street, Forsyth, MO 65653
- Phone: (417) 546-7230
- Probate Records: 1888 (including Probate records, 1888-1916; Will records, 1888-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1887
- Taney County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (417) 546-7249
- Birth & Death Records: ? (including Teachers registers, 1886-1918)
- Taney County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Taney County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Taney County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Taney County genealogy or family history related sites.
Taney Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Taney Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Taney Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Taney Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Taney Co. MO Census Records
Taney Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Taney Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Taney Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Taney Co. MO General and History Websites
Taney Co. MO Military Records
Taney Co. MO Schools & Directories