St. Francois County, Missouri Facts
St. Francois County was created on December 19, 1821 from Jefferson County, Ste. Genevieve County and Washington County. The county was named in honor of St. Francis of Assisi (c. 1182–1226), a Catholic deacon and the founder of the Order of Friars Minor, more commonly known as the Franciscans.
The St. Francois County Seat is situated in Farmington and in addition the county government website is www.sfcgov.org
Areas surrounding St. Francois County include Jefferson County (north), St. Genevieve County (east), Perry County (southeast), Madison County (south), Iron County (southwest), Washington County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in St. Francois County include Bismarck, Blackwell, Bonne Terre, Cantwell, Desloge, Doe Run, Farmington, Frankclay, French Village, Haggai (historical), Iron Mountain, Iron Mountain Lake, Knob Lick, Leadington, Leadwood, Middle Brook, Park Hills, Terre du Lac.
St. Francois County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. St. Francois Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. St. Francois Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Francois Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Francois Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
St. Francois County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of St. Francois County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iron Mountain Historical Society, 325 Highway W, Box 2, Iron Mountain, MO 63650-8300; Phone: (573) 734-1175
- St. Francois County Historical Society, P.O. Box 575, Farmington, MO 63640
- Missouri Mines Museum Society P.O. Box 492, 75 Highway 32, Park Hills, MO 63601; Ph: (573) 431-6226
- St. Francois County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in St. Francois County
- St. Francois County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for St. Francois County
- USGenWeb Archives for St. Francois County
St. Francois County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of St. Francois County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the St. Francois County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Francois county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
- St. Francois County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 North Washington Street, Farmington, Missouri 63640
- St. Francois County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: 1 West Liberty Street, Annex Building, Farmington, Missouri 63640
- Phone: 573-756-2323
- Marriage Records: 1836 (including Index to marriage records, 1901 -1924; Marriage records, 1836-1918; Application for marriage license, 1900-1916; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1898)
- Land Records: 1822 (including Index to deeds, 1822-1890; Deed records, 1822-1893)
- St. Francois County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 1-573-756-3623
- Probate Records: 1822 (including Probate records, 1843-1886; Probate minutes, 1879-1894; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1822-1903; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1880; Settlement records, 1859-1903; Will records, 1822-1916)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1822 (including Index to circuit court records, 1857-1866; Circuit court records, 1822-1887)
- St. Francois County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Address: 1 West Liberty Street, Annex Building, Farmington, Missouri 63640
- Phone: 573-756-5411
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–93 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1885; Permanent record of births, 1883-1893; Register of deaths, 1883-1885; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1890; Register of births and deaths, 1924-1931; State census, 1876)
- St. Francois County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
St. Francois County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to St. Francois County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked St. Francois County genealogy or family history related sites.
St. Francois Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Francois Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Francois Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
St. Francois Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
St. Francois Co. MO Census Records
St. Francois Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
St. Francois Co. MO Church & Bible Records
St. Francois Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Francois Co. MO General and History Websites
St. Francois Co. MO Military Records
St. Francois Co. MO Schools & Directories