St. Charles County, Missouri Facts
St. Charles County was created on October 1, 1812 as one of the five original counties. The county was named in honor of St. Charles Borromeo (1538–1584), an Italian saint and cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church.
The St. Charles County Seat is situated in Saint Charles and in addition the county government website is www.sccmo.org
Areas surrounding St. Charles County include Lincoln County (northwest), Calhoun County, Illinois (north), Jersey County, Illinois (northeast), Madison County, Illinois (east), St. Louis County (southeast), Franklin County (south), Warren County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in St. Charles County include Augusta, Cottleville, Dardenne Prairie, Defiance, Flint Hill, Foristell, Harvester, Josephville, Lake St. Louis, Matson, New Melle, O'Fallon, Orchard Farm, Portage Des Sioux, St. Charles, St. Paul, St. Peters, Weldon Spring, Weldon Spring Heights, Wentzville, West Alton.
St. Charles County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. St. Charles Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. St. Charles Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Charles Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Charles Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
St. Charles County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of St. Charles County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- St. Charles County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, St. Charles, MO 63302-0715
- St. Charles County Historical Society, 101 South Main Street, St. Charles, MO 63301, Phone: (636) 946-9828
- Lewis & Clark Center, 701 , Riverside Drive , St. Charles, MO 63301, Phone: (636) 947-3199
- Boone-Duden Historical Society, P.O. Box 82, New Melle, MO 63365
- OFallon Historical Society, 105 North Main Street , OFallon, MO 63366, Phone: (636) 240-3777
- Friends of Historic Augusta, Webster & High Streets, Augusta, MO 63332, Phone: (636) 228-4303
- Wentzville Community Historical Society, 506 South Linn Avenue, Wentzville, MO 63385, Phone: (314) 327-8720
- Historic Daniel Boone Home and Boonesfield Village, 1868 Highway F , Defiance, MO 63341, Phone: (636) 798-2005
- St. Charles County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in St. Charles County
- St. Charles County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for St. Charles County
- USGenWeb Archives for St. Charles County
St. Charles County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of St. Charles County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the St. Charles County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Charles county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
- St. Charles County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- St. Charles County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: 201 N. Second St., Suite 338, St. Charles, MO 63301
- Phone: 636.949.7505
- Marriage Records: 1807 (including Marriage records, 1807-1916; Register of marriage licenses, 1883-1905)
- Land Records: 1804 (including Index to deeds, 1804-1888; Deed records, 1804-1890; Index to deeds of trust, 1874-1888; Deeds of trust, 1873-1890)
- St. Charles County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: 300 N. Second St., Suite 216, St. Charles, MO 63301
- Phone: 636.949.3080
- Probate Records: 1805 (including Index to probate records, 1852-1886; Probate records, 1827-1886; Probate minutes, 1809-1813, 1829-1834, 1847-1848, 1851-1853 and 1860-1879; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1859-1893; Settlement records, 1836-1844 and 1865-1868; Will records, 1822-1917)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1808 (including Index to circuit court records, 1842-1974; Circuit court records, 1808-1887)
- St. Charles County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Address: 397 Turner Blvd., St. Peters, MO 63376
- Phone: 636.949.7550
- Birth & Death Records: 1867–90 (including County court records, 1836-1 850; City Clerk has birth and death records 1883—1952)
- St. Charles County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
St. Charles County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to St. Charles County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked St. Charles County genealogy or family history related sites.
St. Charles Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Charles Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Charles Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
St. Charles Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
St. Charles Co. MO Census Records
St. Charles Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
St. Charles Co. MO Church & Bible Records
St. Charles Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Charles Co. MO General and History Websites
St. Charles Co. MO Military Records
St. Charles Co. MO Schools & Directories