Perry County, Missouri Facts
Perry County was created on November 16, 1820 (effective January 1, 1821) from Ste. Genevieve County. The county was named in honor of Oliver Hazard Perry (1785–1819), naval officer in the War of 1812 against Britain, earned the title "Hero of Lake Erie" for leading American forces in a decisive naval victory at the Battle of Lake Erie.
The Perry County Seat is situated in Perryville and in addition the county government website is perrycountymo.us
Areas surrounding Perry County include Randolph County, Illinois (north), Jackson County, Illinois (northeast), Union County, Illinois (east), Cape Girardeau County (southeast), Bollinger County (southwest), Madison County (southwest), St. Francois County (west), St. Genevieve County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Perry County include Altenburg, Belgique, Biehle, Brazeau, Farrar, Frohna, Lithium, Longtown, Menfro, Perryville, Uniontown, Wittenberg.
Perry County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Perry Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Perry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Perry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Perry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Perry County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Perry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Perry County Historical Society , P.O. Box 97, 11 South Spring Street, Perryville, MO 63775; Ph: (573) 547-2927
- Brazeau Historical Society, P.O. Box 5, Brazeau, MO 63737; Ph: (573) 824-5865
- Friedenberg Lutheran Historical Society, 1142 PCR 302, Perryville, MO 63775; Ph: (573) 547-8607
- Perry County Lutheran Historical Society H.C.R. 61, Box 187, Altenburg, MO 63732; Ph: (573) 824-5542
- Perry County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Perry County
- Perry County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Perry County
- USGenWeb Archives for Perry County
Perry County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Perry County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Perry County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Perry County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. The offices have been furnished with large fire-proof safe, and there are few counties in the State that have as complete or as conveniently arranged records.
- Perry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 15 West Sainte Marie, Perryville, MO 63775
- Perry County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (573) 547-1611
- Marriage Records: 1830 (including Index to marriage records, 1830-1950; Marriage records, 1830-1916)
- Land Records: 1821 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1891; Deed records, 1821-1886)
- Perry County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 547-6581
- Probate Records: 1821 (including Probate records, 1831-1916; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1845-1907; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1890; Settlement records, 1833-1892; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1826-1876; Index to will records, (no dates); Will records, 1821-1914)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Index to circuit court records, (no dates); Circuit court records, 1821-1894; Naturalization records, 1893-1926)
- Perry County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 547-4242
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–94 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1894; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1887; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1894; Register of deaths, 1883-1893)
- Perry County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Perry County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Perry County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Perry County genealogy or family history related sites.
Perry Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Perry Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Perry Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Perry Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Perry Co. MO Census Records
Perry Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Perry Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Perry Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Perry Co. MO General and History Websites
Perry Co. MO Military Records
Perry Co. MO Schools & Directories