Livingston County, Missouri Facts
Livingston County was created on January 6, 1837 from Carroll County. The county was named in honor of Edward Livingston (1764-1836), a prominent American jurist and statesman, influential in the drafting of the Louisiana Civil Code of 1825, a civil code based largely on the Napoleonic Code.
The Livingston County Seat is situated in Chillicothe and in addition the county government website is www.livingstoncountymo.com
Areas surrounding Livingston County include Grundy County (north), Linn County (east), Chariton County (southeast), Carroll County (south), Caldwell County (southwest), Daviess County.
Cities and towns to be found in Livingston County include Avalon, Chillicothe, Chula, Dawn, Ludlow, Mooresville, Utica, Wheeling.
Livingston County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Livingston Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Livingston Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Livingston County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Livingston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Livingston County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Livingston County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Livingston County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Livingston County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Livingston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 700 Webster St., Chillicothe, MO 64601
- Livingston County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-646-8000, Ext. 6
- Marriage Records: 1837 (including Index to marriage records, (no dates); Marriage records, 1837-1915)
- Land Records: 1837 (including Index to deeds, 1837-1895; Deed records, 1837-1909)
- Livingston County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660-646-8000
- Probate Records: 1837 (including Index to probate records, ?-1915; Probate records, 1837-1891; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1868-1909; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1867-1903; Settlement records, 1860-1890; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1857-1866; Will records, 1837-1925)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1837 (including Circuit court records, 1837-1886)
- Livingston County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 660-646-8000 ext 3
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-91 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1891; Record of births, 1883-1890; Register of deaths, 1883-1890)
- Livingston County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Livingston County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Livingston County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Livingston County genealogy or family history related sites.
Livingston Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Livingston Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Livingston Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Missouri
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Livingston County, Missouri Marriages: 1837-1863 (search.ancestry.com)
- Livingston County, Missouri Birth Records, 1883-84, 1888-91 Volume I & III (search.ancestry.com)
- Livingston County, Missouri Death Records, 1883-90 and Agency Roll of Pensioners of Missouri (search.ancestry.com)
- Marriage records of Livingston County, Missouri (search.ancestry.com)
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Livingston Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Missouri Court, Land, Tax & Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Livingston County, Missouri Deeds, 1855-57, Volumes 2, 3, 5, 6 (search.ancestry.com)
- Livingston County, Missouri Probate Records, Volumes I, III, V, and VII-XIII (search.ancestry.com)
- Livingston County, Missouri Deeds, Books 1 and 2 (search.ancestry.com)
- Livingston County, Missouri Wills and Administrations 1837-1870 (search.ancestry.com)
- Local Records Inventory Database (sos.mo.gov)
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969 (sos.mo.gov)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Livingston Co. MO Census Records
Livingston Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Livingston Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Livingston Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Livingston Co. MO General and History Websites
Livingston Co. MO Military Records
Livingston Co. MO Schools & Directories