Henry County, Missouri Facts
Henry County was created on December 13, 1834 from Lafayette County (originally called Lillard). The county was named in honor of Patrick Henry (1736-1799), first post-colonial Governor of Virginia and prominent figure in the American Revolution.
The Henry County Seat is situated in Clinton and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Henry County include Johnson County (north), Pettis County (northeast), Benton County (east), St. Clair County (south), Bates County (west), Cass County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Henry County include Blairstown, Brownington, Calhoun, Clinton, Deepwater, Hartwell, La Due, Montrose, Tightwad, Urich, Windsor.
Townships located inside of Henry County include Alberta, Bowen, Coal, Delmar, Finey, Gaines, Garland, Germantown, Harvey, Hortense, Huntingdale, Leesville, Lewis, Livingston, Lucas, Maurine, Mount Zion, New Piper, Norris, Petersburg, Piper, Quarles, Roseland, Shawnee Mound.
Henry County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Henry Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Henry County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County Historical Society, P.O. Box 65, 203 W Franklin Str, Clinton, MO 64735; Ph: (660) 885-8414
- Windsor Historical Society, P.O Box 111, 104 South Franklin, Windsor, MO. 65360; Ph: (660) 647-2543
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Henry County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henry County
- USGenWeb Archives for Henry County
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Henry County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Henry County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West Franklin, Clinton, Missouri 64735
- Henry County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (660)-885-7209
- Marriage Records: 1835 (including Index to marriage records, 1871-?; Marriage records, 1835-1916)
- Land Records: 1835 (including Index to deeds, 1837-1886; Deed records, 1835-1939; Mortgage deeds, 1875-1887)
- Henry County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 885-7230
- Probate Records: 1834 (including Index to probate records, 1836-1973; Probate records, 1836-1886; Index to records instruments, (no dates); Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1854-1887; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1854-1886; Will records, 1854-1917)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1835 (including Circuit court records, 1835-1885)
- Henry County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 885-7204
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-90
- Henry County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Henry County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Henry County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Henry County genealogy or family history related sites.
Henry Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henry Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henry Co. MO Census Records
Henry Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Henry Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Henry Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. MO General and History Websites
Henry Co. MO Military Records
Henry Co. MO Schools & Directories