Dent County, Missouri Facts
Dent County was created on February 10, 1851 from Crawford County and Shannon County. The county was named in honor of James Dent, pioneering settler .
The Dent County Seat is situated in Salem and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Dent County include Crawford County (north), Iron County (northeast), Reynolds County (southeast), Shannon County (south), Texas County (southwest), Phelps County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Dent County include Boss, Bunker, Doss, Gladden, Jadwin, Lake Spring, Lecoma, Lenox, Montauk, Salem, Sligo.
Dent County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Dent Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1860. Dent Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dent Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dent Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Dent County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Dent County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Dent County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Dent County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Dent County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dent county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse burned in 1864 The next courthouse, built in 1864, also fell victim to fire in May 1866. The fire destroyed county records.
- Dent County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 N. Main St., Salem, MO 65560
- Dent County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Address: 112 E. Fifth St., Salem, MO 65560
- Phone: 573-729-2198
- Marriage Records: 1851 (including Marriage records, 1851-1917)
- Land Records: 1851, the deeds from 1851-1866 were recreated (including Index to deeds, 1851-1891; Deed records, 1866-1891; Supplied deeds, 1851-1859; Patent records, 1866-1905)
- Dent County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Address: Dent County Judicial Bldg., 112 E. Fifth St., Salem 65560
- Phone: (573) 729-3931
- Probate Records: 1866 (including Index to probate records, (no dates); Probate records, 1866-1890; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1866-1895; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1866-1903; Settlement records, 1877-1886; Will records, 1877-1886)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1866 (including Circuit court records, 1866-1890)
- Dent County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 729-4144
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-84 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1884; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1884; Register of deaths, 1883-1884)
- Dent County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Dent County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Dent County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Dent County genealogy or family history related sites.
Dent Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dent Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dent Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dent Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dent Co. MO Census Records
Dent Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dent Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Dent Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dent Co. MO General and History Websites
Dent Co. MO Military Records
Dent Co. MO Schools & Directories