Cooper County, Missouri Facts
Cooper County was created on December 17, 1818 from Howard County (effective February 1, 1819). The county was named in honor of Sarshel Benjamin Cooper, pioneering settler .
The Cooper County Seat is situated in Boonville and in addition the county government website is www.coopercountymo.org
Areas surrounding Cooper County include Howard County (north), Boone County (northeast), Moniteau County (southeast), Morgan County (south), Pettis County (west), Saline County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Cooper County include Blackwater, Boonville, Bunceton, Otterville, Pilot Grove, Prairie Home, Windsor Place, Wooldridge, Clifton City, Speed.
Townships located inside of Cooper County include Blackwater, Boonville, Clark Fork, Clear Creek, Kelly, Lamine, Lebanon, North Moniteau, Otterville, Palestine, Pilot Grove, Prairie Home, Saline, South Moniteau.
Cooper County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Cooper Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cooper Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cooper Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cooper Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Cooper County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cooper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cooper County Historical Society, Box 51, Pilot Grove, MO 65276
- Boonslick Historical Society of Cooper and Howard Counties, 811 7th Street Terrace, Boonville, MO 65233; (660) 882-6370
- William Clarke Quantrill Society, P.O. Box 33, Boonville, MO 65233; Phone: (660) 882-7821
- Friends of Historic Boonville, P.O. Box 1776, 614 East Morgan, Boonville, MO 65233; Phone: (660) 882-7977
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Cooper County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cooper County
- Cooper County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cooper County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cooper County
Cooper County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Cooper County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Cooper County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Cooper County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Cooper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 Main Street, Boonville, MO 65233
- Cooper County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-882-2161
- Marriage Records: 1819 (including Index to marriage records, 1819-1973; Marriage records, 1819-1918; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1866)
- Land Records: 1819 (including Index to deeds, 1820-1895; Deed records, 1819-1906)
- Cooper County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660-882-2232
- Probate Records: 1819 (including Index to probate records, 1849-1900; Probate records, 1847-1887; Index to probate minutes, (no dates); Probate minutes, 1860-1903; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1819-1891; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1847-1887; Settlement records, 1880-1886; Will records, 1818-1918)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Index to circuit court records, 1821-1894; Circuit court records, 1821-1888)
- Cooper County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 660-882-2114
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-94 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1894; Permanent record of births, 1883-1889; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1889; Index to common pleas, 1856-1859; Record of common pleas, 1856-1859; Chancery records, 1836-1854)
- Cooper County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cooper County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Cooper County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Cooper County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cooper Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cooper Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cooper Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cooper Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cooper Co. MO Census Records
Cooper Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cooper Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Cooper Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cooper Co. MO General and History Websites
Cooper Co. MO Military Records
Cooper Co. MO Schools & Directories