Bates County, Missouri Facts
Bates County was created on January 29, 1841 from Cass County (formally Van Buren County ) . The county was named in honor of Frederick Bates (1777-1825), the second governor of Missouri.
The Bates County Seat is situated in Butler (COC) and in addition the county government website is www.batescounty.net/
Areas surrounding Bates County include Cass County (north), Henry County (northeast), St. Clair County (southeast), Vernon County (south), Linn County, Kansas (west), Miami County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Bates County include Adrian, Amoret, Amsterdam, Butler, Drexel, Rich Hill, Rockville, Hume, Foster, Merwin, Passaic.
Townships located inside of Bates County include Charlotte Township, Deepwater Township, Deer Creek Township, East Boone Township, Elkhart Township, Grand River Township, Homer Township, Howard Township, Hudson Township, Lone Oak Township, Mingo Township, Mound Township, Mount Pleasant Township, New Home Township, Osage Township, Pleasant Gap Township, Prairie Township, Rockville Township, Shawnee Township, Spruce Township, Summit Township, Walnut Township, West Boone Township, West Point Township.
Bates County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Bates Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Bates Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bates Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bates Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Bates County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bates County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bates County Museum/Historical Society, 100 East Fort Scott, Butler, MO. 64730; 660-679-4777; The BC Historical Society/Museum does not do genealogy. The Bates County Historical Society is the parent group that runs the museum, we deal in displays and artifacts. Any genealogy requests are handled through the Bates County Genealogy Society.
- Bates County Genealogy Society, 100 West Atkinson, Butler, MO. 64730; 660-679-4321
- Bates County Old Settlers’ Society , Route 4, Butler, MO 64730
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library , 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Bates County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bates County
- Bates County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bates County
- USGenWeb Archives for Bates County
Bates County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Bates County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Bates County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Bates County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse burned in 1861, some record loss.
- Bates County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 North Delaware, Butler, Mo. 64730
- Bates County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-679-3611
- Marriage Records: 1860 (including Marriage records, 1860-1919)
- Land Records: 1839 (including Index to deeds, 1839-1887; Deed records, 1839-1930; Mortgage deeds, 1881-1893; Deeds of trust, 1881-1893 )
- Bates County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660)679-5171
- Probate Records: 1845 (including Probate records, 1852-1887; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1854-1905; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1865-1912; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1877-191 2; Settlement records, 1877-1887; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1871-1914; Will records, 1871-1914. )
- Court & Divorce Records: 1858 (including Circuit court records, 1858-1885 )
- Bates County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 660-679-3371
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1907 ( Permanent record of births, 1883-1886; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1907; Register of deaths, 1883-1893)
- Bates County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Bates County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Bates County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Bates County genealogy or family history related sites.
Bates Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bates Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bates Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Missouri
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Bates County, Missouri, Cemetery Records, Vol. 1-4, 5 (Part 1), 6 (Parts 1 & 2), 7, 8 (Parts 1-3) (search.ancestry.com)
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Bates Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bates Co. MO Census Records
Bates Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bates Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Bates Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bates Co. MO General and History Websites
Bates Co. MO Military Records
Bates Co. MO Schools & Directories