Tippah County, Mississippi Facts
Tippah County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Tippah Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Tippah County was established on February 9, 1836 from Monroe County. Currently the county was named for the Native American word for "cut off" .
The Tippah County Seat can be found in Ripley additionally, the county government website is www.tippahcounty.ripley.ms/
Regions neighboring Tippah County include Hardeman County , Tennessee (north), Alcorn County (east), Prentiss County (southeast), Union County (south) and Benton County (west).
Cities and towns found in Tippah County consist of Ripley, Blue Mountain, Dumas, Falkner, Walnut.
Tippah County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Tippah Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Tippah Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tippah Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tippah Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Tippah County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tippah County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Tippah County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Tippah County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Tippah County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Tippah county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Record loss, 1863.
- Tippah County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 W Spring St, Ripley, MS 38663
- Tippah County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: 662-837-7374
- Land Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1855
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Tippah County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: 662-837-7370
- Marriage Records: 1858
- Court Records: 1849
- Tippah County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Tippah County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- Tippah County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Tippah County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Tippah County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Tippah County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Tippah Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tippah Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tippah Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tippah Co. MS Census Records
Tippah Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tippah Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Tippah Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tippah Co. MS General and History Websites
Tippah Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tippah Co. MS Military Records
- Mississippi Military Records (Fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Mississippi individuals that served. Suitable for Tippah County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.