Humphreys County, Mississippi Facts
Humphreys County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Humphreys Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Humphreys County was established on March 28, 1918 from Holmes County, Washington County, Sharkey County, Yazoo County and Sunflower County. Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin G. Humphreys, Reconstruction-era Governor of Mississippi .
The Humphreys County Seat can be found in Belzoni additionally, the county government website is unknown
Regions neighboring Humphreys County include Sunflower County (north), Leflore County (northeast), Holmes County (east), Yazoo County (south), Sharkey County (southwest) and Washington County (west).
Cities and towns found in Humphreys County consist of Belzoni, Isola, Louise, Silver City.
Humphreys County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Humphreys Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Humphreys Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Humphreys Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Humphreys Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Humphreys County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Humphreys County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Humphreys County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Humphreys County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Humphreys County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Humphreys County. The dates suggested listed below are the first widely known documents with this county.
- Humphreys County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 Castleman St, Belzoni, MS 39038
- Humphreys County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: 662-247-1740
- Land Records: 1918
- Probate Records: 1918
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Humphreys County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: 662-247-3065
- Marriage Records: 1918
- Court Records: 1918
- Humphreys County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Humphreys County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- Humphreys County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Humphreys County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Humphreys County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Humphreys County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Humphreys Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Humphreys Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Humphreys Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Humphreys Co. MS Census Records
Humphreys Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Humphreys Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Humphreys Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Humphreys Co. MS General and History Websites
Humphreys Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Humphreys Co. MS Military Records
- Mississippi Military Records (Fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Mississippi individuals that served. Suitable for Humphreys County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.