Greene County, Mississippi Facts
Greene County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Greene Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Greene County was established on December 9, 1811 from Wayne County. Currently the county was named in honor of Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary War general .
The Greene County Seat can be found in Leakesville additionally, the county government website is unknown
Regions neighboring Greene County include Wayne County (north), Washington County, Alabama (northeast), Mobile County, Alabama (southeast), George County (south) and Perry County (west).
Cities and towns found in Greene County consist of Leakesville, McLain, State Line.
Greene County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Greene Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Greene Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greene Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Greene Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
- Government Website: No Website
- Created Date / Origin:
- County Seat:
- Named After:
- Bordering Counties:
- Cities & Towns:
Greene County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Greene County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Greene County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Greene County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Greene County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Greene county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The first Court House was a little log building, which was destroyed by fire in 1875, all records were destroyed.
- Greene County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 407 Greene Ave, Leaksville, MS 39451
- Greene County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: 601-394-2377
- Land Records: 1876
- Probate Records: 1842
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Greene County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: 601-394-2379
- Marriage Records: 1874
- Court Records: 1898
- Greene County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Greene County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- Greene County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Greene County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Greene County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Greene County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Greene Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greene Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Mississippi
- Greene Co. MS. Marriages:A-B, C, D-E, F-G-H-I, J-K-L, M-N-O, P-Q, R-S-T-U, V-W-X-Y-Z
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Greene Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Greene Co. MS Census Records
Greene Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Greene Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Greene Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Greene Co. MS General and History Websites
Greene Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greene Co. MS Military Records
- Mississippi Military Records (Fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Mississippi individuals that served. Suitable for Greene County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.