Forrest County, Mississippi Facts
Forrest County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Forrest Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Forrest County was established on April 19, 1906 from Perry County. Currently the county was named in honor of Nathan B. Forrest, Confederate general during the American Civil War.
The Forrest County Seat can be found in Hattiesburg additionally, the county government website is forrestcountyms.us
Regions neighboring Forrest County include Jones County (northeast), Perry County (east), Stone County (south), Pearl River County (southwest), Lamar County (west) and Covington County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Forrest County consist of Hattiesburg, Petal.
Forrest County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Forrest County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Forrest County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hattiesburg Area Historical Society, P. O. Box 1573, Hattiesburg, MS 39403; Phone: 601-582-5460
- McCain Library & Archives, University of Southern Mississippi, Southern Station, Box 5148, Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148; phone: (601) 266 - 4345
- South Mississippi Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 15271, Hattiesburg, MS 39401
- Forrest County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Forrest County
- Forrest County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Forrest County
- USGenWeb Archives for Forrest County (usgwarchives.net)
Forrest County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Forrest County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Forrest County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Forrest County. The dates suggested listed below are the first widely known documents with this county.
- Forrest County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 641 N Main St, Hattiesburg, MS 39401
- Forrest County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: 601-545-6014
- Land Records: 1906
- Probate Records: 1906
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Forrest County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: 601-582-3213
- Marriage Records: 1906
- Court Records: 1906
- Forrest County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Forrest County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- Forrest County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Forrest County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Forrest County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Forrest County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Forrest Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Forrest Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Forrest Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Forrest Co. MS Census Records
Forrest Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Forrest Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Forrest Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Forrest Co. MS General and History Websites
Forrest Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Forrest Co. MS Military Records
- Mississippi Military Records (Fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Mississippi individuals that served. Suitable for Forrest County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.