DeSoto County, Mississippi Facts
DeSoto County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own DeSoto Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
DeSoto County was established on February 9, 1836 from Monroe County and Washington County. Currently the county was named in honor of Hernando de Soto, Spanish explorer of the Americas.
The DeSoto County Seat can be found in Hernando additionally, the county government website is www.desotoms.com/
Regions neighboring DeSoto County include Shelby County , Tennessee (north), Crittenden County , Arkansas (west), Tunica County (southwest), Tate County (south) and Marshall County (east).
Cities and towns found in DeSoto County consist of Hernando, Horn Lake, Olive Branch, Southaven, Walls, Memphis.
DeSoto County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. DeSoto Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. DeSoto Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeSoto Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeSoto Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
DeSoto County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of DeSoto County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
DeSoto County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of DeSoto County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the DeSoto County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in DeSoto county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Record loss, courthouse burned in 1940.
- DeSoto County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2535 Hwy 51 S., Hernando, MS 38632
- DeSoto County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: (662) 429-1318
- Land Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1836
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- DeSoto County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: 662-429-1325
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Court Records: 1854
- DeSoto County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- DeSoto County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- DeSoto County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
DeSoto County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to DeSoto County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked DeSoto County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
DeSoto Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
DeSoto Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
DeSoto Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
DeSoto Co. MS Census Records
DeSoto Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
DeSoto Co. MS Church & Bible Records
DeSoto Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DeSoto Co. MS General and History Websites
DeSoto Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DeSoto Co. MS Military Records
- Mississippi Military Records (Fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Mississippi individuals that served. Suitable for DeSoto County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.