Covington County, Mississippi Facts
Covington County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Covington Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Covington County was established on January 5, 1819 from Lawrence County and Wayne County (originally called Bainbridge County). Currently the county was named in honor of Leonard Covington, American Revolutionary War general .
The Covington County Seat can be found in Collins additionally, the county government website is unknown
Regions neighboring Covington County include Smith County (north), Jones County (east), Forrest County (southeast), Lamar County (south), Jefferson Davis County (west) and Simpson County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Covington County consist of Collins, Mount Olive, Seminary.
Covington County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Covington Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Covington Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Covington Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Covington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Covington County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Covington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Covington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Covington County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Covington County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Covington County. The dates suggested listed below are the first widely known documents with this county. The County Courthouse had a Record loss in 1904
- Covington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N Dogwood Ave, Collins, MS 39428
- Covington County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: 601-765-4242
- Land Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1854
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Covington County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: 601-765-6506
- Marriage Records: 1904
- Court Records: 1857
- Covington County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Covington County Vital Records - You can Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Mississippi Department of Health has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested.
- Covington County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Covington County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Covington County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Covington County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Covington Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Covington Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Covington Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Covington Co. MS Census Records
Covington Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Covington Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Covington Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Covington Co. MS General and History Websites
Covington Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Covington Co. MS Military Records
- Mississippi Military Records (Fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Mississippi individuals that served. Suitable for Covington County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.