Hubbard County, Minnesota Facts
Hubbard County was founded on February 26, 1883 (Organized in 1887) from Cass County. The county was named in honor of Lucius Frederick Hubbard (1836-1913), editor of Red Wing Republican; state senator, 1872-1875; governor of Minnesota, 1882-87.
The Hubbard County Seat is situated in Park Rapids and the county government website is http://www.co.hubbard.mn.us/
Locales adjacent to Hubbard County are Beltrami County (north), Cass County (east, southeast), Wadena County (south), Becker County (southwest), Clearwater County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Hubbard County are made up of Akeley, Laporte, Nevis, Park Rapids.
Townships Include Akeley, Arago, Badoura, Clay, Clover, Crow Wing Lake, Farden, Fern, Guthrie, Hart Lake, Helga, Hendrickson, Henrietta, Hubbard, Lake Alice, Lake Emma, Lake George, Lake Hattie, Lakeport, Mantrap, Nevis, Rockwood, Schoolcraft, Steamboat River, Straight River, Thorpe, Todd, White Oak Townships.
Hubbard County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940 Hubbard Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. BLANK Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the following years: 1885, 1895 and 1905. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Hubbard County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Hubbard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hubbard County Genealogical and Historical Society, PO Box 327, Park Rapids, MN 56470; PHONE: (218)732-5237
- Paul Bunyan Historical Society, West Broadway, PO Box 118 (Mailing), Akeley, MN 56433; 218-652-2575
- North Central Minnesota Historical Center, The A. C. Clark Library, 1500 Birchmont Dr. NE #28, Bemidji, MN 56601-2699; Phone: (218) 755-3342
- Hubbard County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hubbard County
- Hubbard County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hubbard County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hubbard County (usgwarchives.net)
Hubbard County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the benefits of Hubbard County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the aspirations and worries of many Minnesota men and women.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Hubbard County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You need to get in touch with the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or seeking information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many staff will help persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the man or women to perform the researching.
The below details shows whatever marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and court records will be in Hubbard County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records data in this county.
At some time Hubbard County was attached to Wadena County for county and or judicial purposes. Some early records may be found there. Partially destroyed by fire a few years after 1889. No records were destroyed
- Hubbard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 Court Avenue, Park Rapids , MN 56470
- Phone: (218) 732-5286
- Hubbard County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Birth / Death Records: 1885 / 1887 (It is no longer necessary to go to the registrar's office of the county where the birth or death took place. You may go to a registrar's office in any county in Minnesota for births that took place during of after 1900 and for deaths that took place during or after 1997)
- Marriage Records: 1884
- Land Records: 1883
- Hubbard County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Probate Records:1884
- Court Records:1884
- Hubbard County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
- Minnesota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Hubbard County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Hubbard County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Hubbard County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hubbard Co. MN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hubbard Co. MN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Minnesota
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983 (familysearch.org)
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995 (familysearch.org)
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Hubbard Co. MN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hubbard Co. MN Census Records
Hubbard Co. MN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hubbard Co. MN Church & Bible Records
Hubbard Co. MN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hubbard Co. MN General and History Websites
Hubbard Co. MN Immigration & Naturalization
Hubbard Co. MN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hubbard Co. MN Military Records
Hubbard Co. MN Schools & Directories