Fillmore County, Minnesota Facts
Fillmore County was founded on March 5, 1853 from Wabasha County. The county was named in honor of Millard Fillmore (1800-1874), member of Congress from New York 1833-35 and 1837-43; president of the United States, 1850-53. .
The Fillmore County Seat is situated in Preston and the county government website is http://www.co.fillmore.mn.us/
Locales adjacent to Fillmore County are Winona County (northeast), Houston County (east), Winneshiek County, Iowa (southeast), Howard County, Iowa (southwest), Mower County (west), Olmsted County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Fillmore County are made up of Canton, Chatfield, Fountain, Harmony, Lanesboro, Mabel, Ostrander, Peterson, Preston, Rushford Village, Rushford, Spring Valley, Whalan, Wykoff.
Townships Include Amherst, Arendahl, Beaver, Bloomfield, Bristol, Canton, Carimona, Carrolton, Chatfield, Fillmore, Forestville, Fountain, Harmony, Holt, Jordan, Newburg, Norway, Pilot Mound, Preble, Preston, Spring Valley, Sumner, York Townships.
Fillmore County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in finding out about your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Fillmore Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fillmore Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fillmore Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. Fillmore Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the following years: 1853, 1855, 1857, 1865, 1875, 1885, 1895 and 1905. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Fillmore County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Fillmore County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fillmore County History Center and Genealogy Library, 202 County Rd 8
Fountain MN 55935; Phone: 507 268-4449
- Harmony Area Historical Society, PO Box 291, 15 2nd Street NW, Harmony, MN 55939; 507-886-2469
- Peterson Station Museum, PO Box 233, Peterson MN 55962-0233,
Museum: 228 Mill St, Peterson MN; Phone: 507 895-2551
- Preston Historical Society, PO Box 138, Preston MN 55965
- Rushford Area Historical Society, 403 East North St., Rushford, MN 55971; Phone:(507) 864-7560
- Spring Valley Community Historical Society, 220 W Courtland St, Spring Valley MN 55975-1232; Phone: 507 346-7659
- Minnesota Historical Society Research Center, 1500 Mississippi Street, St. Paul, MN 55101, (612) 296-6980
- Chatfield Historical Society, 21 Second Street South East, Chatfield MN 55923
- Fillmore County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fillmore County
- Fillmore County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fillmore County
- USGenWeb Archives for Fillmore County (usgwarchives.net)
Fillmore County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently overlook the benefits of Fillmore County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the aspirations and worries of many Minnesota men and women.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Fillmore County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You need to get in touch with the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or seeking information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many staff will help persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the man or women to perform the researching.
The below details shows whatever marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and court records will be in Fillmore County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records data in this county.
- Fillmore County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 Fillmore Street E., Preston , MN 55965
- Phone: (507) 765-3356
- Fillmore County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Birth / Death Records: 1870 (It is no longer necessary to go to the registrar's office of the county where the birth or death took place. You may go to a registrar's office in any county in Minnesota for births that took place during of after 1900 and for deaths that took place during or after 1997)
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1853
- Fillmore County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Probate Records: 1857
- Court Records: 1856
- Fillmore County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
- Minnesota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Fillmore County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Fillmore County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Fillmore County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Fillmore Co. MN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fillmore Co. MN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Minnesota
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983 (familysearch.org)
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995 (familysearch.org)
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002 (search.ancestry.com)
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Fillmore Co. MN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fillmore Co. MN Census Records
Fillmore Co. MN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fillmore Co. MN Church & Bible Records
Fillmore Co. MN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fillmore Co. MN General and History Websites
Fillmore Co. MN Immigration & Naturalization
Fillmore Co. MN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fillmore Co. MN Military Records
Fillmore Co. MN Schools & Directories