Saginaw County, Michigan Facts
Saginaw County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Saginaw Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Saginaw County Facts
- Government Website: www.saginawcounty.com/
- Created Date / Origin: September 10, 1822 (Organized on February 9, 1835) from St. Clair County and unorganized territory
- County Seat: Saginaw
- Named After: A Native American term, perhaps having reference to the Sauk tribe who lived at the mouth of the river
- Bordering Counties: Bay County (northeast), Midland County (northwest), Tuscola County (east), Gratiot County (west), Genesee County (southeast), Shiawassee County (south), Clinton County (southwest).
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Frankenmuth , Saginaw, Zilwaukee, Birch Run, Chesaning , Merrill, Oakley, St. Charles
- Townships: Albee, Birch Run, Blumfield, Brady, Brant, Bridgeport Charter, Buena Vista Charter, Carrollton, Chapin, Chesaning, Frankenmuth , Fremont, James, Jonesfield, Kochville, Lakefield, Maple Grove, Marion, Richland, Saginaw Charter, Spaulding, St. Charles, Swan Creek, Taymouth, Thomas, Tittabawassee, Zilwaukee
Saginaw County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Saginaw County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bridgeport Historical Society Of P.O. Box 117 6190 Dixie Highway Bridgeport Charter Township MI 48722; (989) 777-5230
- Cass River Genealogy Society, 359 S. Franklin, Frankenmuth MI 48734
- Chesaning Area Historical Society, 602 W. Broad St., Chesaning Mi. 48616; Phone: 989-845-3155
- Chesaning Genealogical Society, 227 East Broad St., Chesaning 48616
- Frankenmuth Historical Association, 613 South Main Street, Frankenmuth MI 48734; (989) 652-9701
- Saginaw County Historical Society, 500 Federal Avenue Saginaw MI 48607; (989) 752-2861
- Saginaw Genealogical Society, 505 Janes Ave., Saginaw 48607
- Saginaw County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Saginaw County
- Saginaw County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Saginaw County
- USGenWeb Archives for Saginaw County (usgwarchives.net)
Saginaw County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Saginaw County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Saginaw County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Saginaw County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on February 9, 1835 may be located in Oakland County
- Saginaw County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 South Michigan Avenue, Saginaw, MI 48602
- Saginaw County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Saginaw County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 989-790-5251
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Saginaw County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (989) 790-5270
- Land Records: 1836
- Saginaw County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (989)790-5328
- Probate Records: 1800?
- Saginaw County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (989) 790-5470
- Court Records: 1843
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Saginaw County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Saginaw County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Saginaw County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Saginaw Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Saginaw Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Saginaw Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Saginaw Co. MI Census Records
Saginaw Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Saginaw Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Saginaw Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Saginaw Co. MI General and History Websites
Saginaw Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Saginaw Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Saginaw Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Saginaw County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)
Saginaw Co. MI Schools & Directories