Oakland County, Michigan Facts
Oakland County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Oakland Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Oakland County Facts
- Government Website: www.oakgov.com
- Created Date / Origin: January 12, 1819 (Organized on March 28, 1820) from Macomb County
- County Seat: Pontiac
- Named After: Named for the numerous "oak openings" in the county. Dr. Bela Hubbard, surveyor of Michigan, described an "oak opening" as "a majestic orchard of oaks and hickories varied by small prairies, grassy lawns and clear lakes."
- Bordering Counties: Lapeer County (northeast), Genesee County (northwest), Macomb County (east), Wayne County (southeast), Washtenaw County (southwest), Livingston County (west)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Auburn Hills, Berkley, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Clarkston, Clawson, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods, Keego Harbor, Lake Angelus, Lathrup Village, Madison Heights, Novi, Oak Park, Orchard Lake Village, Pleasant Ridge, Pontiac, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, South Lyon, Southfield, Sylvan Lake, Troy, Walled Lake, Wixom, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin, Holly, Lake Orion, Leonard, Milford, Ortonville, Oxford, Wolverine Lake
- Townships: Addison, Bloomfield Charter, Brandon, Commerce Charter, Groveland, Highland Charter, Holly, Independence Charter, Lyon Charter, Milford Charter, Novi, Oakland Charter, Orion Charter, Oxford Charter, Rose, Royal Oak Charter, Southfield, Springfield, Waterford Charter, West Bloomfield Charter, White Lake
Oakland County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Oakland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Oakland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Oakland County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Oakland County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Oakland County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on March 28, 1820 may be located in Macomb County
- Oakland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1200 North Telegraph Road, Pontiac, MI 48341
- Oakland County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Oakland County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 248-858-0572
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Oakland County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (248) 858-0608
- Land Records: 1821
- Oakland County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (248) 858-0260
- Probate Records: 1822
- Oakland County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (248) 858-0345
- Court Records: 1826
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Oakland County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Oakland County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Oakland County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Oakland Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Oakland Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Oakland Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Oakland Co. MI Census Records
Oakland Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Oakland Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Oakland Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Oakland Co. MI General and History Websites
Oakland Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Oakland Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Oakland Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Oakland County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)
Oakland Co. MI Schools & Directories