Muskegon County, Michigan Facts
Muskegon County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Muskegon Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Muskegon County Facts
- Government Website: co.muskegon.mi.us/
- Created Date / Origin: February 4 1859 from Ottawa County and Oceana County
- County Seat: Muskegon
- Named After: Muskegon River running through county, from the Ojibwa/Chippewa word "mashkig" meaning "swamp" or "marsh."
- Bordering Counties: Oceana County (north), Newaygo County (northeast), Kent County (east), Ottawa County (south)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Montague, Muskegon Heights, Muskegon, North Muskegon, Norton Shores, Roosevelt Park, Whitehall, Casnovia, Fruitport, Lakewood Club, Ravenna
- Townships: Blue Lake, Casnovia, Cedar Creek, Dalton, Egelston, Fruitland, Fruitport Charter, Holton, Laketon, Montague, Moorland, Muskegon Charter, Ravenna, Sullivan, White River, Whitehall
Muskegon County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Muskegon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Muskegon County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Muskegon County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Muskegon County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Muskegon County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
- Muskegon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 141 E. Apple Avenue, Muskegon, MI 49442
- Muskegon County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Muskegon County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-724-6221
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Muskegon County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (231) 724-6271
- Land Records: 1839
- Muskegon County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (231) 724-6241
- Probate Records: 1867
- Muskegon County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (231) 724-6251
- Court Records: 1856
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Muskegon County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Muskegon County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Muskegon County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Muskegon Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Muskegon Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Muskegon Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Muskegon Co. MI Census Records
Muskegon Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Muskegon Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Muskegon Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Muskegon Co. MI General and History Websites
Muskegon Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Muskegon Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Muskegon Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Muskegon County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)
Muskegon Co. MI Schools & Directories