Mecosta County, Michigan Facts
Mecosta County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Mecosta Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Mecosta County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.mecosta.mi.us/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1840 (Organized on February 11, 1858) from Mackinac County and Oceana County
- County Seat: Big Rapids
- Named After: Named for Mecosta, a Native American leader
- Bordering Counties: Osceola County (north), Isabella County (east), Montcalm County (south), Newaygo County (west)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Big Rapids, Barryton, Mecosta, Morley, Stanwood
- Townships: Aetna, Austin, Big Rapids, Chippewa, Colfax, Deerfield, Fork, Grant, Green Charter, Hinton, Martiny, Mecosta, Millbrook, Morton, Sheridan, Wheatland
Mecosta County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mecosta County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Mecosta County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Mecosta County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Mecosta County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Mecosta County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on February 11, 1858 may be located in Kent County and Newaygo County
- Mecosta County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 Elm Street, Big Rapids, MI 49307
- Mecosta County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Mecosta County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-592-0783
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Mecosta County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (231) 592-0145
- Land Records: 1867
- Mecosta County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (231) 592-0135
- Probate Records: 1867
- Mecosta County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (231) 592-0780
- Court Records: 1859
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Mecosta County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Mecosta County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Mecosta County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Mecosta Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mecosta Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mecosta Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mecosta Co. MI Census Records
Mecosta Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mecosta Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Mecosta Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mecosta Co. MI General and History Websites
Mecosta Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Mecosta Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mecosta Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Mecosta County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)
Mecosta Co. MI Schools & Directories