Macomb County, Michigan Facts
Macomb County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Macomb Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Macomb County Facts
- Government Website: www.macombcountymi.gov
- Created Date / Origin: January 15 1818 from Wayne County
- County Seat: Mt. Clemens
- Named After: Named for U.S. General Alexander Macomb, a notable officer of the War of 1812
- Bordering Counties: St. Clair County (northeast), Lapeer County (northwest), Oakland County (west), Wayne County (south)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Center Line, Eastpointe, Fraser, Grosse Pointe Shores, Memphis, Mount Clemens, New Baltimore, Richmond, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights, Utica, Warren, Armada, New Haven, Romeo
- Townships: Armada, Bruce, Chesterfield Charter, Clinton Charter, Harrison Charter, Lenox, Macomb, Ray, Richmond, Shelby Charter, Washington
Macomb County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Macomb County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Macomb County Genealogical Society, c/o Mount Clemens Public Library, 150 Cass Avenue, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043; 1-586-469-6200
- Macomb County Historical Commission, Macomb Co. Admin. Bldg. One S. Main Street Mt. Clemens, MI. 48043
- New Baltimore Historical Society, 51065 Washington, New Baltimore, MI 48047
- Roseville Historical and Genealogical Society, c/o Roseville Public Library, 29777 Gratiot Avenue , Roseville, MI 48066-4196
- Romeo Historical Society, P.O. Box 412, Romeo 48065
- St. Clair Shores Genealogical Group, 22500 Eleven Mile Rd., St. Clair Shores 48081
- Sterling Heights Genealogical and Historical Society , P.O. Box 1154, Sterling Heights,MI 48311-1154
- Warren Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1773, Warren 48090-1773
- Macomb County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Macomb County
- Macomb County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Macomb County
- USGenWeb Archives for Macomb County (usgwarchives.net)
Macomb County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Macomb County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Macomb County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Macomb County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
- Macomb County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 North Main Street, Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
- Macomb County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Macomb County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 586-469-5120
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Macomb County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (586) 469-7953
- Land Records: 1818
- Macomb County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (586) 469-5240
- Probate Records: 1849
- Macomb County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (586) 469-5150
- Court Records: 1818
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Macomb County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Macomb County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Macomb County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Macomb Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Macomb Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Macomb Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Macomb Co. MI Census Records
Macomb Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Macomb Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Macomb Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Macomb Co. MI General and History Websites
Macomb Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Macomb Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Macomb Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Macomb County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)