Kalamazoo County, Michigan Facts
Kalamazoo County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Kalamazoo Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Kalamazoo County Facts
- Government Website: www.kalcounty.com/
- Created Date / Origin: October 29, 1829 (Organized on October 1, 1830) from unorganized territory
- County Seat: Kalamazoo
- Named After: Named for the Kalamazoo River. See Etymology of Kalamazoo for a discussion of the river's name.
- Bordering Counties: Barry County (northeast), Allegan County (northwest), Calhoun County (east), Van Buren County (west), Branch County (southeast), St. Joseph County (south), Cass County (southwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Galesburg, Kalamazoo, Parchment, Portage, Augusta, Climax, Richland, Schoolcraft, Vicksburg
- Townships: Alamo, Brady, Charleston, Climax, Comstock Charter, Cooper Charter, Kalamazoo Charter, Oshtemo Charter, Pavilion, Prairie Ronde, Richland, Ross, Schoolcraft, Texas Charter, Wakeshma
Kalamazoo County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Kalamazoo County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 405, Comstock, MI 49041-0405
- Schoolcraft Historical Society, 16278 Prairie Rounde, Schoolcraft 49087
- Vicksburg Historical Society, 300 North Richardson St., PO Box 103, Vicksburg, MI 49097
- Victor Township Historical Society, 6843 Alword Rd, Laingsburg 48848
- Kalamazoo County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Kalamazoo County
- Kalamazoo County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Kalamazoo County
- USGenWeb Archives for Kalamazoo County (usgwarchives.net)
Kalamazoo County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Kalamazoo County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Kalamazoo County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Kalamazoo County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on October 1, 1830 may be located in St.
- Kalamazoo County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 W. Kalamazoo Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49007
- Kalamazoo County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Kalamazoo County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 269-383-8840
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Kalamazoo County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (269) 383-8970
- Land Records: 1824
- Kalamazoo County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (269) 383-8666
- Probate Records: 1830
- Kalamazoo County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (269) 383-8950
- Court Records: 1847
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Kalamazoo County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Kalamazoo County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Kalamazoo County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Kalamazoo Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Kalamazoo Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Kalamazoo Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Kalamazoo Co. MI Census Records
Kalamazoo Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Kalamazoo Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Kalamazoo Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Kalamazoo Co. MI General and History Websites
Kalamazoo Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Kalamazoo Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Kalamazoo Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Kalamazoo County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)