Jackson County, Michigan Facts
Jackson County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Jackson Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Jackson County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.jackson.mi.us/
- Created Date / Origin: October 29, 1829 (Organized on August 1, 1832) from Washtenaw County and unorganized territory
- County Seat: Jackson
- Named After: Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), 7th President of the United States and President when Michigan was admitted to the Union
- Bordering Counties: Livingston County (northeast), Ingham County (north), Eaton County (northwest), Washtenaw County (east), Calhoun County (west), Lenawee County (southeast), Hillsdale County (southwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Jackson, Brooklyn, Cement City, Concord, Grass Lake, Hanover, Parma, Springport
- Townships: Blackman Charter, Columbia, Concord, Grass Lake Charter, Hanover, Henrietta, Leoni, Liberty, Napoleon, Norvell, Parma, Pulaski, Rives, Sandstone Charter, Spring Arbor, Springport, Summit, Tompkins, Waterloo
Jackson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County Genealogical Society 211 W. Ganson Street, Suite 170, Jackson, MI 49201; 1-517-768-9266
- Grass Lake Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 53, Grass Lake MI 49240
- Historical Society of Tompkins Township, 8211 Dixon Rd., Rives Junction, MI 49277; (517) 569-2211
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Austin Blair Camp #7 c\o Bill Lowe 3916 Allston Drive Jackson MI 49201
- Hanover-Horton Area Historical Society Inc., 105 Fairview St. P.O. Box 256 Hanover MI 49241
- Jackson County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jackson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jackson County (usgwarchives.net)
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Jackson County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Jackson County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on August 1, 1832 may be located in Washtenaw County
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 312 S. Jackson Street, Jackson, MI 49201
- Jackson County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Jackson County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 517-788-4265
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Jackson County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (517) 788-4350
- Land Records: 1830
- Jackson County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (517) 788-4290
- Probate Records: 1834
- Jackson County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (517) 788-4268
- Court Records: 1830?
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Jackson County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Jackson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Jackson County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Jackson Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. MI Census Records
Jackson Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. MI General and History Websites
Jackson Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Jackson Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Jackson County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)
Jackson Co. MI Schools & Directories