Emmet County, Michigan Facts
Emmet County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Emmet Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Emmet County Facts
- Government Website: www.emmetcounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1840 (Organized on January 29, 1853) from Mackinac County (originally named Tonedagana County until the name changed on March 8, 1843)
- County Seat: Petoskey
- Named After: Robert Emmet (1778-1803): Irish nationalist and rebel leader
- Bordering Counties: Mackinac County (north), Cheboygan County (east), Charlevoix County (south)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Alanson, Mackinaw City, Pellston
- Townships: Bear Creek, Bliss, Carp Lake, Center, Cross Village, Friendship, Little Traverse, Littlefield, Maple River, McKinley, Pleasantview, Readmond, Resort, Springvale, Wawatam, West Traverse
Emmet County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Emmet County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Little Traverse Historical Society Museum, P.O. Box 162, Petoskey, MI 49770
- Emmet County Genealogical Society, 423 Beech St., Petoskey 49770
- Harbor Springs Area Historical Society, 432 E. Bay St., Harbor Springs, MI 49740; 1-616-526-9771
- Little Traverse Historical Society, 100 Depot Court, Petoskey, MI 49770; 231-347-2620
- Emmet County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Emmet County
- Emmet County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Emmet County
- USGenWeb Archives for Emmet County (usgwarchives.net)
Emmet County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Emmet County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Emmet County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Emmet County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on January 29, 1853 may be located in Mackinac County
- Emmet County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 Division Street, Petoskey, MI 49770
- Emmet County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Emmet County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-348-1744
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Emmet County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Emmet County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Emmet County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Emmet County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Emmet County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Emmet County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Emmet Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Emmet Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Emmet Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Emmet Co. MI Census Records
Emmet Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Emmet Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Emmet Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Emmet Co. MI General and History Websites
Emmet Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Emmet Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Emmet Co. MI Military Records
- Michigan Military Records (fold3.com) provides you with access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Michigan both males and females that served. Just the thing for Emmet County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
- Michigan Military Records 1775-1836 (search.ancestry.com)