Hampshire County, Massachusetts Facts
Hampshire County was founded on May 7, 1662 from Middlesex County. The county was named for the English county of Hampshire.
Currently the Hampshire County Seat is situated in Northampton and the county government was abolished on January 1, 1999.
Places adjacent to Hampshire County are Franklin County (north), Worcester County (east), Hampden County (south), Berkshire County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Hampshire County are made up of Amherst, Belchertown, Blandford, Chester, Chesterfield, Easthampton, Florence, Goshen, Granby, Hadley, Hatfield, Huntington, Leeds, Northampton, Pelham, Russell, South Hadley, Southampton, Ware, Westhampton, Williamsburg, and Worthington.
Hampshire County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Hampshire Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hampshire Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hampshire Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hampshire County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Hampshire County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Hampshire County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the great importance of Hampshire County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the aspirations and frustrations of many Massachusetts inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed document of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Hampshire County court records. Even if your ancestors is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in finding the resources, however it is up to the individual to perform the basic research. For Town Records contact the Town Clerk (Helpful Telephone Listings for your City/Town Hall
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records will be in Hampshire County. The dates indicated below could be the first recognized records data for this particular county.
- Hampshire County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 33 King Street, Northampton, MA 01060
- Hampshire County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records. In 1787 three registry offices were created (Deerfield, Springfield, and Northampton) for Hampshire County corresponding with what eventually became the three present counties of Franklin, Hampden, and Hampshire respectively. All deeds for the Northampton registry before it became what is now Hampshire County are located in the Springfield registry.
- Phone: 413-584-3637
- Land Records: 1812
- Hampshire County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Phone: (413) 586-8500
- Probate Records: 1660
- Hampshire County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Address: 15 Gothic Street, Northampton, MA 01061
- Phone: (413) 584-5810 x293
- Court Records: 1677
- Hampshire County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
- Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841.
Hampshire County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hampshire County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own preferred Hampshire County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hampshire Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hampshire Co. MA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Massachusetts
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vital Records 1841 - 1910 (sec.state.ma.us)
- Vital records of Pelham, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Worthington, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Middlefield, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Register of the deaths in Northampton, from the first settlement of the town in 1653, to August 1824 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Hampshire Co. MA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hampshire Co. MA Census Records
Hampshire Co. MA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hampshire Co. MA Church & Bible Records
Hampshire Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hampshire Co. MA General and History Websites
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The Mt. Holyoke hand-book and tourist's guide : for Northampton and its vicinity (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of the town of Amherst, Massachusetts : published in two parts : part I, general history of the town : part II, tow (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Hadley : including the early history of Hatfield, South Hadley, Amherst and Granby, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Middlefield, Massachusetts History (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of the town of Middlefield, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Hatfield, Massachusetts : in three parts (search.ancestry.com)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Hampshire Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Hampshire County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Hampshire (cyndislist.com)
- Hampshire County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Hampshire Co. MAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Hampshire County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Hampshire Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Hampshire Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hampshire Co. MA Military Records
Hampshire Co. MA Schools & Directories