Bristol County, Massachusetts Facts
Bristol County was founded on June 2, 1685 as one of three original counties created in the Plymouth Colony. The county was named for its original county seat of Bristol, Massachusetts, which is named for the English port city of Bristol - when the Town of Bristol joined Rhode Island, the name of the county was kept.
Currently the Bristol County Seat is situated in Taunton and the county government website is http://www.bristol-county.org/
Places adjacent to Bristol County are Norfolk County (north), Plymouth County (northeast), Newport County, Rhode Island (southwest), Bristol County, Rhode Island (west), Providence County, Rhode Island (northwest).
Cities and towns situated in Bristol County are made up of Acushnet, Attleboro, Berkley, Dartmouth, Dighton, Easton, Fairhaven, Fall River, Freetown, Mansfield, New Bedford, North Attleborough, Norton, Raynham, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Somerset, Swansea, Taunton, Westport.
Bristol County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Bristol Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bristol Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bristol Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Bristol County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Bristol County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Acushnet Historical Commission, Town Hall, 122 Main Street, Acushnet, MA 02743; Telephone: 508-998-0200
- Attleboro Historic Preservation Society, 185 South Main Street, Attleboro MA 02703; (978) 365-9201
- Easton Historical Commission, 136 Elm Street, North Easton, MA 02356
- Fort Taber Historical Association, 1000c Rodney French Blvd., New Bedford, MA 02744; Phone: 508-994-3938.
- Norton Historical Society, 18 West Main Street, PO Box 1711, Norton, MA 02766; Phone: (508) 285-7070
- Old Colony Historical Society, 66 Church Green, Taunton, MA 02780; Phone: (508) 822-1622
- Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 18 Johnny Cake Hill, New Bedford, MA 02740; Phone: (508) 997-0046
- Fall River Historical Society, 451 Rock Street, Fall River, MA 02720; Telephone (508)679-1071
- Bristol Co Chapter, Massachusetts Society of Genealogists, 34 Chicopee Street, New Bedford, MA 02745
- Bristol County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bristol County
- Bristol County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bristol County
- USGenWeb Archives for Bristol County (usgwarchives.net)
Bristol County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the great importance of Bristol County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the aspirations and frustrations of many Massachusetts inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed document of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Bristol County court records. Even if your ancestors is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in finding the resources, however it is up to the individual to perform the basic research. For Town Records contact the Town Clerk (Helpful Telephone Listings for your City/Town Hall
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records will be in Bristol County. The dates indicated below could be the first recognized records data for this particular county.
The county seat was Bristol until 1746 when succeeded by Taunton. The Taunton seat divided into three districts in 1837 with Taunton remaining as probate office but only registry of deeds for the Northern District.
- Bristol County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Northern District, 11 Court Street, Taunton, MA 02780; (508) 822-0502; The Northern District includes the towns of Attleboro, Berkley, Dighton, Easton, Mansfield, North Attleboro, Norton, Raynham, Rehoboth, Seekonk and Taunton.
- Southern District, 25 North 6th Street, New Bedford, MA 02740; (508) 993-2605; The Southern District includes the towns of Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, New Bedford and Westport.
- Fall River District, 441 North Main Street, Fall River, MA 02720; (508) 673-1651; The Fall River District includes the towns of Fall River, Freetown, Somerset and Swansea.
- Land Records: 1685
- Bristol County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Address: 21 FR DeValles Boulevard, Fall River, MA 02723
- Phone: (508) 672-4669
- Probate Records: 1685
- Bristol County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Address: 9 Court St., Room 13, Taunton, MA 02780
- Phone: ?
- Court Records: 1685
- Bristol County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
- Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841.
Bristol County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Bristol County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own preferred Bristol County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Bristol Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bristol Co. MA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Massachusetts
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vital Records 1841 - 1910 (sec.state.ma.us)
- Rehoboth, Massachusetts, Vital Records, 1642-1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of New Bedford, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Taunton, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital record of Rehoboth, 1642-1896 : marriages, intentions, births, deaths, with supplement containing the record of 1896, col (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Attleborough, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Norton, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Westport, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Mansfield, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- Book A, records of the town of Swansea, 1662 to 1705 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Bristol Co. MA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bristol Co. MA Census Records
Bristol Co. MA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bristol Co. MA Church & Bible Records
Bristol Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bristol Co. MA General and History Websites
- Bristol County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Bristol County, Massachusetts: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men, Part 2 (Google eBook)
- Our county and its people : a descriptive and biographical record of Bristol County, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Bristol County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- History of New Bedford : and its vicinity, 1602-1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- A sketch of the history of Attleborough : from its settlement to the division (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of the town of Norton, Bristol County, Massachusetts : from 1669 to 1859 (search.ancestry.com)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Bristol County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Bristol Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Bristol County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Bristol (cyndislist.com)
- Bristol County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Bristol Co. MAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Bristol County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Bristol Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Bristol Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bristol Co. MA Military Records
- Massachusetts Military Records (fold3.com) will provide access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Massachusetts women and men which served. Perfect for Bristol County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Bristol Co. MA Schools & Directories
- Massachusetts City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Massachusetts. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information.
- Fall River, Massachusetts City Directories, 1889-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Bedford, Massachusetts Directories, 1887, 1889-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Taunton, Massachusetts Directories, 1890-93 (search.ancestry.com)
- Mansfield, Massachusetts Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Easton, Massachusetts Directory, 1889 (search.ancestry.com)