Barnstable County, Massachusetts Facts
Barnstable County was founded on June 2, 1685 as one of three original counties created in the Plymouth Colony. The county was named after its county seat of Barnstable, which is named after the English town of Barnstaple.
Currently the Barnstable County Seat is situated in Barnstable and the county government website is http://www.barnstablecounty.org/
Places adjacent to Barnstable County are Plymouth County (west), Bristol County (west), Dukes County (south), Nantucket County (southeast).
Cities and towns situated in Barnstable County are made up of Barnstable, Bourne, Brewster, Centerville, Chatham, East Falmouth, East Sandwich, Eastham, Falmouth, Forestdale, Harwich, Hyannis, Marstons Mills, Mashpee, North Eastham, North Falmouth, Orleans, Osterville, Provincetown, Sandwich, South Dennis, South Yarmouth, Teaticket, Truro, Wellfleet, West Barnstable, West Dennis, West Yarmouth and Yarmouth.
Barnstable County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Barnstable Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barnstable Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barnstable Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Barnstable County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Barnstable County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barnstable Historical Society, 3087 Main St, Barnstable, MA 02630; 508-362-2982
- Bourne Historical Society, Box 3095, 30 Keene St., Bourne, MA. 02532; 508-759-8167
- Brewster Historical Society, PO Box 1146, 3171 Main Street, Brewster, Massachusetts 02631; Phone: (508) 896-9521
- Cape & Islands Historical Association, P.O. Box 50, Bourne, MA 02559-0050 (508)888-3300, Ext. 103
(old address 359 Main St. N. Harwich, MA 02645 )
- Cape Cod Community College Nickerson Archives, 2240 Iyannough Road, West Barnstable, MA 02668; 508.362.2131
- Cape Cod Genealogical Society, PO Box 1394, E Harwich, MA 02645
- Cape Cod Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, P.O. Box 1912, 2469 Meetinghouse Way, (Route 149), West Barnstable, MA 02668; 508-362-WBTS (508-362-9287)
- Centerville Historical Society, 513 Main Street, Centerville, MA 02632, (508) 775-0331
- Chatham Historical Society, 347 Stage Harbor Road Chatham, MA 02633; (508) 945-2493
- Dennis Historical Society , PO Box 607, S Dennis, MA 02660-0607; 508-385-2232
- Donald G. Trayser Memorial Museum , 3353 Main Street, Barnstable Village, MA (617) 362-2092
- Eastham Historical Society, 2375 State Hwy Eastham, MA 02642; (508) 255-0788
- Falmouth Genelogical Society , PO Box 2107, Teaticket, MA 02536
- Falmouth Historical Society, 55 and 65 Palmer Avenue, Falmouth, MA; Tel. (508) 548-4857
- Harwich Historical Society, PO Box 17, 80 Parallel Street, Harwich, MA 02645; (508) 432-8089
- Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, 67 Grove Street Sandwich, MA 02563; (508) 888-3300
- Orleans Historical Society, 3 River Rd., PO Box 353 , Orleans, MA 02653; 508-240-1329
- Osterville Historical Society, 155 West Bay Road, Osterville, MA 02655; Phone: (508) 428-5861
- Historic Society of Santuit and Cotuit, 1148 Main Street, Cotuit, Massachusetts 02635; 508-428-0461
- Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, P.O. Box 11, 11 Strawberry Lane, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675 (508) 362-3021
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barnstable County
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Barnstable County
- USGenWeb Archives for Barnstable County (usgwarchives.net)
Barnstable County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the great importance of Barnstable County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the aspirations and frustrations of many Massachusetts inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed document of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Barnstable County court records. Even if your ancestors is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in finding the resources, however it is up to the individual to perform the basic research. For Town Records contact the Town Clerk (Helpful Telephone Listings for your City/Town Hall
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records will be in Barnstable County. The dates indicated below could be the first recognized records data for this particular county. Fire destroyed nearly all the early deed books and probate files, but probate books survived. Although the official deed books only begin in 1827, many deeds were pre-recorded back to about 1783, though these are far from complete.
- Barnstable County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 3195 Main Street, Barnstable, MA 02630
- Barnstable County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Phone: (508) 375-6725
- Land Records: 1827
- Barnstable County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Phone: (508) 375-6725
- Probate Records: 1686
- Barnstable County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Phone: 508-375-6684
- Court Records: 1686
- Barnstable County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
- Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841.
Barnstable County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Barnstable County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own preferred Barnstable County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Barnstable Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Barnstable Co. MA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Massachusetts
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vital records of the town of Truro, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of the Town of Brewster, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- TOWN RECORDS of BARNSTABLE COUNTY 1640 - 1920 (plymouthcolony.net) Vital Records transcribed from Town Reports of the towns
of Barnstable County, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Vital Records 1841 - 1910 (sec.state.ma.us)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital Records of the Towns of Barnstable and Sandwich (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Barnstable Co. MA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Barnstable Co. MA Census Records
Barnstable Co. MA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Barnstable Co. MA Church & Bible Records
Barnstable Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Barnstable Co. MA General and History Websites
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts, 1620-1637-1686-1890 (1890) (archive.org)
- Full text of "History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts, 1620-1637-1686-1890 (archive.org)
- History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts : 1620-1637-1686-1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Truro--Cape Cod, or, Land marks and sea marks (search.ancestry.com)
- A history and genealogy of the descendants of William Hammond of London, England and his wife Elizabeth Penn : through their so (search.ancestry.com)
- History of old Yarmouth : comprising the present towns of Yarmouth and Dennis : from the settlement to the division in 1794, wi (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Chatham, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Barnstable County, Massachusetts (capecodhistory.us)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Barnstable Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Barnstable (cyndislist.com)
- Barnstable County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Barnstable Co. MAGenweb (plymouthcolony.net)
- Barnstable County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Barnstable Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Barnstable Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Barnstable Co. MA Military Records
- Massachusetts Military Records (fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Massachusetts men and women who served. Perfect for Perfect for Barnstable County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Barnstable Co. MA Schools & Directories